What's new
What's new

Brother vs. Samsung?!

Boy with the reputation Brother has around here for service and reliability, it would be hard to recommend against them. No personal experience with either machine........

Definitely not as fast. Slower spindle, slower cutting, slower rapids, slower pallet change. Worse control.

But it does come with some flavour CTS standard.

Might be interesting to some if it is below $60k. Is it?

Did you watch the demo video of the Samsung?

Bad times when they have to speed up the video on a machine going head to head with Brother.

It looked like they just dropped frames on the second pass of the face mill op to make the rapids look fast.

Bad times when they have to speed up the video on a machine going head to head with Brother.

It looked like they just dropped frames on the second pass of the face mill op to make the rapids look fast.

I didn't watch the whole video, but they did the same thing on the 3/4" Endmill Roughing the profile.

I nearly fell asleep while it was tapping (2nd video about 2:13). Not to say it is a bad machine, looks like a reasonably compact pallet changer. Curious about the pricing. It would be very nice if Samsung or Doosan came our with something to legitimately compete with Brother though.

.....With similar specs. For significantly less coin.

Spreadsheet purchasing decision will rarely result in the best machine for a job. It may be all you can afford, I get that. But really, there is no comparison between the two if you are looking at productivity.

Looks like roller ways on the Z axis, and rather large ones at that. I wonder what size the rails are on all the axis?

And $107,000 is the base price with 230 psi through spindle coolant standard. Looks like the only option is a chip conveyer? No 4th axis as an option is kind of limiting. Any idea what the rapids are?

You might want to check and see if the Samsung people have one in the country. Installed at a customer would be best, or even showroom. I looked at these a while back. None in the country at that point to be looked at........ They were willing to do some discounting. I was offered a bit of a deal from Yamazen, bought a Brother, and have never regretted it. So now I have four Brothers ......

Brother service and support is going to be better than Samsung. Power requirements are going to be lower with the Brother. Pretty sure performance is going to be better with Brother.

Did you watch the demo video of the Samsung?

Just now. As mentioned, terrible video.
I only brought it up because I had never seen one.
I saw something on google where $80k was mentioned (can't refind that now).
Then figured out the retail is on the Samsung site, and a few ticks over $100k
I would stick with the Brother I imagine.

A Samsung product with shady marketing? NO!

So shocking, I dropped my monocle.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha, a hundred grand for THAT?

Good luck.

$100k?!?@?

Very rarely does it happen, but a Haas DT2 with a Midaco pallet changer and TSC is $82k. It isn't rare that Haas is the cheapest, but it's very rare that Haas is also the better machine tool.

This is one of those times.

82K for a DT2 with pallet changer? they also make the DM2 with 40 taper..

I looked into the hardinge/Bridgeport pallet changer machine.. nice machine but low end Fanuc control
Doosan makes a pallet changer in BT30 and Cat40 but gets costly with a chip conveyer

That's the big down side the chip systems push the price up fast.

but gets costly with a chip conveyer

That's the big down side the chip systems push the price up fast.

Kinda funny when you think about it...all that technology, engineering, servos, amps, controls, balls screws, precision ways, 4th axis, 5 axis 1.6sec chip to chip times and the list goes on and on. With all that the cost of an auger or moving belt to remove chips is still a significant price factor.

When will MTB's and cutting tool mfg's learn that we don't want to hear fucking music in these videos... we want to hear the machine cut! What it sounds like, etc...

Back