What's new
What's new

Brother on the way!

eaglemike

Stainless
Brother Frank alerted me to a screaming deal on a demo R450X1 with some nice options. So I made the jump! 10K hi torque spindle, 22 tool changer, etc. Pallet change will be faster than some tool changers, and tool changes of course about as fast as they come. :)
Thanks to all here for sharing their experience with them.
Now I'll have to figure out which Haas(s) to sell........... My 2 smaller machines are still failry new, and run well. Just looking for more efficiency.
Another learning experience too. I'm counting on Yamazen's excellent reputation. :)
Wish me luck!

Please share tips and tricks, and any pitfalls to avoid. :)

ETA: has the BBT, and only 5 hours of cutting air!

Thanks!
I'm going to be hitting up Frank at Mari so I can hit the ground running.
If people have favorite 30 taper stuff I'm all ears. :)
Thinking SK collets/BBT holders, and BBT end mill holders.

You'll want an ER setup for drills and taps, SKs don't have enough collapse range to be really usable with drills. For little stuff I really like Frank's ER16 "type M" holders. I'll happily use ER16 up to about 1/4" then I switch to ER25 for bigger drills, but 32 is the more standard size.

Do Brother's have the limited Z range like the Robodrills? If so, make sure to get different gage lengths to accommodate that.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm using a fair number of the ER16 now in the Haas machines. Will add more BT30 for them, and take a look at length. :)
(just spent money upgrading a couple of the Haas machines, but they'll never be as fast as the Brother)
Nearly all my work is .5em or less, so I'm think the Brother will be perfect.

Here we go :)
450a_zps1xiemt6m.jpg

We'll keep the chips flying with this. :)

Thanks for all the good wishes!
I have a care package on the way from Frank at Mari.
I'll give Eric at Orange a jingle too.
I'm replacing a 2012 Haas minimill 2 that is in really great shape. It's been a solid machine. This will be soooo much faster, and way more beans at the spindle.
Yamazen scheduled for Tuesday. I'm hoping for chips Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning. :)
Life is going to be a bit different. I've been reprogramming to take advantage of HSM, getting used to the Fanuc on the Robo, and now adding this to the mix. Still have a VF-2 and a super minimill.

You went from 2 Mini's, to a Robo and now this?

Sounds like the Robo was recently. ???

If so, you don't like it?
Or why else did you get a Brother this time?
Did 2/3 strong arm you? He's kinda big, but you look like you could hold your own.... ???

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I had a VF-2 (1998), super mini (2007), and a MM2 (2012). The MM2 was pretty nice for the class of machine, but a little slow for my work load. I added the Robo. After getting used to the Fanuc, I'm pretty happy with the Robo, but still need more speed/throughput at times. So replacing the MM2 with the Brother. It's a good problem to have, right? :)

I do ok at holding my own........ :) but at 62, not as easy, gotta do some old-man style cheating at times. :)
Happy New Year!!!!

OK - you didn't answer [to my contentment] why you didn't get another Fanuc this time?
Just peer pressure from the boards here?
2/3 just found you - or vs/vs?

FWIW - 2/3 aint 25 anymore either.... Just sayin' ....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

OK - you didn't answer [to my contentment] why you didn't get another Fanuc this time?
Just peer pressure from the boards here?
2/3 just found you - or vs/vs?

FWIW - 2/3 aint 25 anymore either.... Just sayin' ....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I'm liking the pallet thing on the Brother. Didn't see a Fanuc that is any better with pallets for the price, and really liking the whole "I have no idea who the Brother service guy is" mantra going on. There is also a local shop with a 2004 Robo, and a fairly new Brother 450. They say they wish they purchased the Brother sooner - they love it. :) I did look some at a pallet Samsung, but they didn't have a user base local that I could talk too. Having 2/3 and Brother Frank here to support sure didn't hurt either.
With the high-torque spindle and BBT, this should make quick work of my parts. It's a great fit for what I do. Essentially zero load time, with the 3 second pallet change and simultaneous tool change.
Add in the screamin demo deal, and it tipped the scales.
This is a good fit too in floor space and power requirements.
When the Methods guy dropped by, there was no offer of any deal, no pallet machine, and lead time was out there a ways.

The brother has a pallet changer? Bad ass!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I know what a BTR is, but what is a BBT?
Its BT for taper, plus an extra "B" thrown in for face contact.
Kaiser Germany developed it. They got bought out by Japanese Daishowa in the early 80's. To become Big Kaiser / Big Daishowa / Big Plus. Not sure there are industry standards for it yet as it's patented. They off sell the patent rights to companies like Sandvik.

Same thing happened with Cat 60 years ago.

Regards Phil.

Back