What's new
What's new

Calling all screw machine shops...looking for a vendor for small parts

implmex

Diamond
Hi All:
I have been making parts for a customer that I don't want to do anymore.
The reason is, they need them in much bigger quantities than I can realistically supply with my mix of machines.
This is a perfect little Swiss job or live tooled subspindle lathe job; dirt simple parts, apparently in lots of 10,000 (not sure but those are the quantities they're talking).

Attached are pictures.

round post.JPG

oval post.JPG

The smaller part is about 1/8" diameter the stem is about 0.047" diameter.
Some of these will be made without stems.

The larger part is about 3/16" diameter.
These ones will always have a stem.

Tolerances are reasonable =/- 0.001"

Material is 360 brass.

The whole job is getting custom form tools made up for milling the bum shape and making a custom collet for the subspindle op on the bigger parts (the small ones are round so a standard collet will do the job).
My cutter was a single lip HSS form cutter, cut on the wire EDM and it worked pretty well but it's done a few hundred now and it's getting tired.
My lathe doesn't have live tools and no subspindle so you can imagine what a pain in the ass it was to mill them on the Haas, then clock them in on the lathe, then turn them and part them off, then hand work the part-off tit under the microscope with a sharp knife. (I was only ever going to make ten parts to prove out the concept... I've done a couple of hundred now and I'm getting cross-eyed and heartily sick of these every time another order comes up.)

The customer has gone to AB Tools on my recommendation and Alfred has advised them he can make the cutters, so no hassles there.

Anyone want to quote these?
If you are interested, I can email you the customer's contact information and you can deal direct; I have no plans to take a cut on these.
Let me know by PM or on the public forum as you prefer.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Give PM member Dualkit a shout............................

Thanks but my live tool machine has been scrapped out. Until replaced I do hexes, flats,cross holes and slots manually. No contouring.

Doo any of the newer Swiss have "keyed" sub collets these days?

Even with a keyed sub, trying to get that profile to line up w/o snapping it off once it clamps will be a while to dial in.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The volumes are on the low side, these would be perfect for cold heading.

Tom

How much can you squash brass before needing to anneal it? Sure would be nice if it would work though.

I wonder if maybe a brass extrusion would be feasible, then just have to mill in the contour around the ball end, to meet up with the channels in the extrusion. I think the amount of overtravel that the contouring tool needs to clean up the straight parts on the OD is the major PITA.

I am thinking more along the lines of the process, not the exact material. 360 brass would not be a candidate, but possibly another copper alloy or maybe an entirely different metal. Also possibly die casting.

Tom

That's a Y/Z move, not X+/X-

No real reason to ever move into X- that I have found yet.
C will bring it around to your reach.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Hi again All:
First, I want to thank all of you who responded; it's very much appreciated!

Here's where we're at:
I've emailed the customer to ask how he wants to proceed; obviously I can't just start sending out drawing packages without their approval.
I'm waiting to hear back.
As I pointed out in my original post, I want to disengage from this project so I'm thinking I'll probably just email to the customer, the contact information of all of you who have expressed a desire to quote these parts, including of course those who have sent me a private message.

If you don't hear anything back from the customer, it'll be out of my hands, but be assured I did forward your contact information and I do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to contact me..
So thanks again everyone!!

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Back