What's new
What's new

Can Anyone tell me how Dental Files for Root Canal work are made?

Stuart Caruk

Stainless
I need to make or have made several thousand small files or rasps similar to the ones that a dentist uses to to a root canal. Typically they are operated by hand to remove the pulp from the tooth when doing a repair.

They appear to be tapered with a triple start thread pitch that has a profile like a rasp.

I'd guess a screw machine might make them except for the triple start thread issue. I suppose they could be made by turning a small section of the thread at a time.

They may also be ground, or even perhaps machined flat and twisted, but they are made from titanium I believe and they are wickedly strong and flexible.

Any ideas how they are made or who might be able to make a slightly different version of one?

I would bet that if you contact a producer and ask them to quote your part, specifying a non-medical application, they could do it much less expensively than you could.

That would be great if I could find someone who actually manufactures them. I'd much prefer to go to a manufacturer and have them custom make our part. The problem is that I'm not entirely sure how they are made, nor who actually makes them. I've modified soem existing rasps to work, but it would be far simpler to make exactly what we need from scratch, or preferably have them made for us.

That would be great if I could find someone who actually manufactures them. I'd much prefer to go to a manufacturer and have them custom make our part. The problem is that I'm not entirely sure how they are made, nor who actually makes them. I've modified soem existing rasps to work, but it would be far simpler to make exactly what we need from scratch, or preferably have them made for us.

Many use CNC tool grinders like a Rollomatic.

I would bet that if you contact a producer and ask them to quote your part, specifying a non-medical application, they could do it much less expensively than you could.

If you could get them to do it. Specifying and guaranteeing the nature of the application are two different things.

The rasps FKG makes are certainly made on bespoke machines, the La Chaux‑de‑Fonds region is famous for that. They are an easy 1/2 hour drive to the Rollomatic factory.

If I had to make a wild-assed-guess I would say a big part of the process is how the wire is drawn. Also, these parts are electro polished.

I actually work for a company that makes surgical drills, reamers, burrs, bone saws, bone files, and other medical and dental screws implants and such used in the medical and dental field..they can be hand ground or be ran in a surface grinder

Hi Stuart:
Can you talk more about the profiles you actually need?
There are several kinds of root canal instruments (I used to be a dentist so I'm familiar with them)
K files are made by twisting square, rectangular or triangular cross section tapered wires to make cutting edges that are negative rake but will cut on both the push stroke and the pull stroke.
The cross section is made by surface grinding round wires in a jig.

Hedstrom files have a positive rake cutting action, cut only on the pull stroke and are helical ground on specialty grinders like the Rollomatic from a solid round wire.

Barbed broaches are used for fishing the dental pulp out of the canal before the canal is shaped to admit the inert filler.
They are made like traditional wood rasps are made; by raising slivers of steel from the circumference of a tapered wire without cutting them free of their base.
These do not cut but merely entangle the fibrous part of the dental pulp so it can be fished out of the canal.

Gates-Glidden burs and Peeso reamers are ground from the solid with Rollomatics or similar grinders; both are leaf shaped cutting burs on narrower necks and have zero or negative rake cutting edges and left hand spirals so they cannot augur themselves uncontrollably down a root canal system but must be forced down by the dentist.
The Gates Glidden is narrower and more flexible than the Peeso and they are used for different aspects of root canal preparation.

So having gotten this unsolicited and maybe unwanted education on the various kinds; roughly which kind is it that you want to try to make?
I'm assuming ground like a Hedstrom file???

RollomaticMan is probably going to be by far your best resource for information on how this is actually done; it's a highly specialized field and the operation of these machines is probably most similar to the operation of CNC cutter grinders with the principal difference that these machines are set up for lights out stupendously high volume production so you can imagine what kinds of gadgetry they have around them to feed the wire, inspect the parts, stack them ready to overmold the handles on etc etc etc .
Endo files are cheap...a dollar or two per item, and they are an amazing testament to the ingenuity of those who figured out how to make them.

That in itself tells you how hard it would be to get one of these vendors to break off their regular production to run off a batch of customs for you.
I suspect a company like RollomaticMan's company (Orchid) is going to be a better fit for you than one of the big endo file makers; they'll likely not have fleets of machines pounding the same file out 24/7 as the big players like Kerr would do, but will have a few machines set up to do smaller volumes of specials for smaller companies like dental implant companies or the development arms of some of the big players.
That's the door I'd knock on first.
Second I'd phone Rollomatic and ask for a list of their customers they can recommend to you as vendors.
These machines don't get bought without a lot of tech talk back and forth before the purchase so the Rollomatic guys will know who is your best fit simply by knowing what they were bought to do.
Other notable players in the field would be companies like Norman Noble or Johnson Matthey; both are big medical device companies that advertise in the medical industry magazines; so even if they are uninterested or unable, they'd be worth calling to pick their brains.

BTW endo files are not made of titanium; some are made of stainless steel, probably 15-5 or 17-4 PH, others are made of nickel-titanium (NiTi) which is a superelastic alloy that's a true bitch to fabricate with, but is amazing in its properties, especially its flexibility.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Orchid Unique, Bridgeport Mi, 48722

It is a small world and I just have to say Hi and a so welcome aboard to the best netspace metalworking in the world.

Across the street from you is the old building where I learned to run a B-port in at 13.
Don't know if you know the history behind your shop and how it came to be.
A very neat shop you are in.
Is there still a labeled circle for "employee beverage" at the workstations? That's another fun story.
Bob

BTW endo files are not made of titanium; some are made of stainless steel, probably 15-5 or 17-4 PH, others are made of nickel-titanium (NiTi) which is a superelastic alloy that's a true bitch to fabricate with, but is amazing in its properties, especially its flexibility.

I had a root canal done a couple years ago. Able to see some of the working zone through the reflection in Endontists' glasses, we had a decent chat about the files. He specifically mentioned that they were made in Switzerland, from a Nickle-Titanium material. I was quite blown away at the strength & flexibility of the material. Thinking on it now, I wonder if that's the same material they use in the hyper-flexible Maui-Jim sunglass frames?

Back to the Endontist though - talk about mad skills. I can't imagine working in within the confines of someone's mouth, but then at a 90* angle in order to access the tooth surface. And then, to drill from the center of the tooth, to the corners, and down a curved tooth root... Major respect for him, and the experience was outstanding. If anyone near Kentucky / Southern Indiana needs a root canal, let me know - he was that good...

Haha.. yea there is in certain areas. You know how "Lean" manufacturing is, they try and control everything and its location. That shop has come a long long way in just the past 5 years!!!

Back