What's new
What's new

Capto??

brian.pallas

Hot Rolled
Hello all,

If you guys were tooling up a HMC from scratch would you go with Capto vs normal shell holders?

I have some experience with Capto tools and was wondering what you guys thought. Are they worth the extra money?

Brian

If you're talking about face-mills, then my suggestion would be no. There's no reason to use Capto for facemills, as you'll be limiting your selection, and I really don't see any benefit...

Now, if you're talking about Capto-shank indexable drills, I think there's some merit there. If you use a short CAT > Capto back-end tool, then your tool assembly can be shorter than with cylindrical/weldon shank tools.

I also like Capto in turning, for the quick-change, and also for more rigidity in longer stick-out applications. For indexable milling cutters, I don't think there's much need, unless you're talking about large/long indexable endmills. (The cutters with multiple rows) Then I think Capto makes sense, for the same reason as the drills above - shorter tool assemblies. But for face-mills - nah, skip it and just stick with plain arbor/pilot mount facemills.

We have a small selection of capto tooling here that we use for deep cavity and core work. It works quite well however the one complaint i do have is if you want to change length or arbor you have to strip the whole thing down.

I use Capto on mills (CAT40) and lathes, it is a great system for hole making.Very good selection of drills, rough and finish boring bars. But face milling and end-milling just plain shell-mill holders and sidelock holders.

If you're talking about face-mills, then my suggestion would be no. There's no reason to use Capto for facemills, as you'll be limiting your selection, and I really don't see any benefit...

Place I used to work had Capto extensions that we stacked up to ~32" long for use with 5" dia facemills for clearance reasons. Worked surprisingly well and the job was Ti to boot.

the answer is it all depends. I run some capto stuff, the advantage is you can assemble what you need for the job from standard parts, and its surprisingly rigid. I can't say its better or worse than a solid holder, but in my 40 taper machines I don't a difference in the cut. Capto has its place....

Cool, thanks for the replies. I think I'll stick with standard extensions for face mills. I hadn't really thought about it for holemaking, so that's something else to consider in the future.

Thanks.

I run Sandvik 390s in 20mm and 63mm in capto. The tools were pricey but you can pound the other guys wife out of material with them. I also have a 390 in weldon variety few different sizes but I leave the c5s loaded up all the time and never think about reaching for the other sizes. I am excited to try 390 in seat size 7 but waiting for the rep to show up with a real deal. Don't have any experience with in capto with boring bars or 880/870s.

Place I used to work had Capto extensions that we stacked up to ~32" long for use with 5" dia facemills for clearance reasons. Worked surprisingly well and the job was Ti to boot.

That's a good point. I've gone to the 14-15" range on C6 (C8?) extensions, and used 4" round-insert button-cutters to helical-interpolate/high-feed mill with. It works okay, but the lego-block "build-it" convenience is nice fore sure. (I think I just infringed on two separate, competing trademarks there... lol)

At my last shop we had four CNC lathes all set up with Capto each tool had it's own offset and our Cad was set up for these tools. It was a big investment but worth every penny. It reduced set up time on every job and repeat work was a snap. You always have special tools to deal with but we ran an entire line of aluminum hubs from one inch up to eight. These jobs changed over in minuets. I'm on my second shop now and Capto in the future for our lathes, I'm not sure you would see the same savings with Mills.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Cool, thanks for the replies. I think I'll stick with standard extensions for face mills. I hadn't really thought about it for holemaking, so that's something else to consider in the future.

Thanks.
I'm not trying to hijack but I have a few Capto Silenttool pieces that came with some stuff I bought from a shop. I have the Cat40 adapter, a couple extensions and the Capto shell mill adapter. I believe the shell mill adapter is around 6" long and has a 3/4" pilot. Not anything I need. If you're interested, send me a PM.

I have used Capto in horizontals mills, VTL and 5 axis integrex. I will say this they are way more rigid than a shell mill holder. If you have to stick a tool out a long way it is the only way to go.

Capto ifo B axis lathes is great, even beyond great (whatever that is) but for standard toolholding it doesn't stand apart IMNSHO.

Robert

Capto ifo B axis lathes is great, even beyond great (whatever that is) but for standard toolholding it doesn't stand apart IMNSHO.

Robert

And i'd add that for those b-axis lathes, there's really not any other valid option. It seems HSK-T is pretty well unsupported, with just a handful of companies providing a fairly slim product offering..

We have a small selection of capto tooling here that we use for deep cavity and core work. It works quite well however the one complaint i do have is if you want to change length or arbor you have to strip the whole thing down.

Sandvik recently released this front clamp adapters to solve that exact issue.
6-20-2016 4-18-46 PM.jpg

C6-QC-C6-115

Back