What's new
What's new

Johnford 35 cnc lathe using G54

j lipot

Plastic
We just bought a Johnford 35 with fanuc 18 control the other day. The previous owner wasn't using G54 for work offset. Do I need to do something to activate it, to use G54-G59. Change Parameters?

Don't know anything about this particular lathe, but if you have G54-G59 on your screen, then there is a very good chance that you don't have to turn on any parameter. Have you tried it yet?

Work shift

Actually, we don't have to use G54-G59. We can just stay in Work Shift. If we just use Workshift, My real question is, Where do I find the value to put in " X " on work offset page. I know after setting it, It should be left alone. Only Z will change.

*Note* It has a fanuc18 control.

Actually, we don't have to use G54-G59. We can just stay in Work Shift. If we just use Workshift, My real question is, Where do I find the value to put in " X " on work offset page. I know after setting it, It should be left alone. Only Z will change.

*Note* It has a fanuc18 control.

I have allways used a drill, or boring bar holder, or, in the case of a VDI turret, the holder bore as X zero. Indicate any to be concentric with the spindle: Workshift/MX0/offset measure/input. Done.

Work Shift

Makes sense. I'll get to it this weekend. I'm more familiar with the mills. Just got the lathe and have little experience on them.

Thanks for your input !

The modern lathes usually have both the workshift and also the G54-G55, etc.
You can use either one, but don't mix them up, use either one or the other.
This according to a friend named Kaspar that works in programming training for Daewoo, whom I consider to be quite qualified.
Put only the Z for your primary tool into the G54 or the workshift, the rest of the tool settings in Z go into the Geometry offsets and so do all the X settings for all tools.
The idea is that you only have to reset the Z for your primary tool for any new job and you should be all set to start running(of course in Single Block for the first part).
A suggestion for primary tool:
Your 80 degree turn-face combination tool.
Good luck:
Heinz.
www.doccnc.com

Back