What's new
What's new

Chip control, lots of parts on table

JFettig

Aluminum
I'm just getting things set up and running for this part, I have 36 pieces on the table, all cut with HSM type tool paths, tons of long stringy chips. Does anyone have any suggestions for controlling the chips and getting them out of the way? It doesn't seem to matter how much coolant I run, I have run air on the same parts before in smaller quantities and it didn't seem to do the trick either, blew it a little ways further but still snags on the parts next to them.

This is just the first op of 12 pieces, I had to clear chips before it finished first op because it was re-cutting. I have 2 more ops that will produce tons of chips. It's all 17-4 SS. It should be a ~3 hour run and I'd like to run it unattended.
IMG_20180507_084644.jpg

Would it be worth a look into a high pressure coolant setup? Have the z come up, turn on high pressure coolant pump and have it feed through a new line, have it blow the chips off the next set of parts before it starts, turn off the hp coolant, and continue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just getting things set up and running for this part, I have 36 pieces on the table, all cut with HSM type tool paths, tons of long stringy chips. Does anyone have any suggestions for controlling the chips and getting them out of the way? It doesn't seem to matter how much coolant I run, I have run air on the same parts before in smaller quantities and it didn't seem to do the trick either, blew it a little ways further but still snags on the parts next to them.

This is just the first op of 12 pieces, I had to clear chips before it finished first op because it was re-cutting. I have 2 more ops that will produce tons of chips. It's all 17-4 SS. It should be a ~3 hour run and I'd like to run it unattended.
View attachment 227947

usually massive coolant flow from ceiling like a firehose will blast things down to chip conveyor. true some material make long stringy chips and its harder to get rid of them. i have had to use reverse rotation after drilling to unwind chips from drills and end mills. works 90% of time. sometimes still got to stop to remove them

I'm using corncob roughers (down to 3/8, I think they can be had smaller) even with HSM, Chips much easier to deal with. Might be worth a try........

Using an endmill that has a chip breaker will help,but it might not solve your problem.
Something like this is a really good choice for breaking chips in HSM paths.
355 : Fury Vicor - End Mills

Is running dry with air blast an option?

Coolant pump that came with my last used VMC is a 1hp 6 stage Grundfos, 35 gpm at 170 psi. It has so much flow the last owner had it hooked up to run in reverse, that would take care of your chip problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm considering corncob or the segmented roughers, my main hangup is the corner radius availability, I do a combined rough/finishing with the 5fl .060 rad end mill all in one shot(this surface doesn't need to look pretty but it's functional), it's what creates the most long stringy chips and finishing it again would add a ton of time.

I'm considering the Helical brand, they have 5 and 7 flute roughing end mills - does anyone have experience with these?

Buying another coolant pump isn't in the cards at the moment, but I think that's an option.

As much as I love corn cob roughers I don't think that will totally fix your problem, with all those vises on the table you have an excellent chip trap.

Imco has some very interesting multi flute mills with many different corner radiuses and coatings. They may be worth looking at.

I agree David, I might try pointing the coolant nozzles a little differently in addition. I ordered a couple of the Helical 5 flute roughers to try out.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm considering corncob or the segmented roughers, my main hangup is the corner radius availability, I do a combined rough/finishing with the 5fl .060 rad end mill all in one shot(this surface doesn't need to look pretty but it's functional), it's what creates the most long stringy chips and finishing it again would add a ton of time.

I'm considering the Helical brand, they have 5 and 7 flute roughing end mills - does anyone have experience with these?

Buying another coolant pump isn't in the cards at the moment, but I think that's an option.
crest cut (crest kut) mills will rough and finish. just saying there are mills that make smaller chips and give a decent finish

Chip fan or program air blast at opportune times. If a machine runs 30 seconds longer but there is nobody there to witness it, does it really matter? Do you have TSC?

I doubt a fan will clear chips like that. Once they get packed up they really take a lot of pressure to move them.

If you could make a tool with a chip break you might be able to just flush them down easier.

Maybe some kind of sheet metal ramp to allow the coolant to flow to the front and back of the table?

Back