What's new
What's new

Chlorine Free Coolant

Metalworker17

Plastic
Your thoughts on chlorine free coolants?

Any advantages or disadvantages?

I've tried a bunch of coolants thru the years, but I've been using Rustlik WS-1000CF for about two years now and I find it much better with the tank scum and it doesn't stain aluminum like other coolants. Seems to last a hell of a lot longer too. Now I have no idea if its the CF or if its just a better coolant. Seems the CF coolants are more environmentally safe too, which is a plus in my eyes.

Sadly my distributor has told me they are no longer carrying my beloved coolant. The search continues again.

Coolant reply

Your thoughts on chlorine free coolants?

Any advantages or disadvantages?

I've tried a bunch of coolants thru the years, but I've been using Rustlik WS-1000CF for about two years now and I find it much better with the tank scum and it doesn't stain aluminum like other coolants. Seems to last a hell of a lot longer too. Now I have no idea if its the CF or if its just a better coolant. Seems the CF coolants are more environmentally safe too, which is a plus in my eyes.

Sadly my distributor has told me they are no longer carrying my beloved coolant. The search continues again.

I have tried many coolants over the past year and the best I found was Qualichem extreem cut series.
If you get into eco freindly and biodregradale coolants they will start biodegrading in your tanks and smell like used tennis shoes
after a few months. synthetic coolants dont prevent rust good enough and cheaper coolants get rancid quick.
I must have tried 7-8 diff types and brands and qulaichem lasted the longest and performed the best.
P.S. they will give you a free trial with no string attached as well!!!!!!

Just a thought...I found that the same coolant can respond differently to different water conditions. One shop I knew swore by by using filtered (soft-water) and adding calcium carbonate, then another shop, across town, steadfastly said that they used the same coolant but with only water straight out of the tap , having tried the filtering and calcium with disastrous results.

I tend to lean toward semi-synthetics but cannot recommend one because they seem to change the formulas at times, so one day its great, and next month its a problem. OX, on the other hand, if I recall correctly, leans toward old school water soluble oils without synthetics and is happy (statement subject to OXYcorrection):D

Another shop for years used the same coolant (Trim941) then one day it all started crashing on him. Turned out he hired a new operator who had a habit of stopping the machine and putting a few drops of tapmatic fluid in the holes before tapping them. Took about a month to cause the problem.

I also recall a shop having sudden problems with aluminum casting and found it to be the mold release used. Fixed the problem by running the parts through a washer.

Have you called the manufacture of your current coolant to see if they could help you on the shipping cost to stay with your current coolant? I did once, and all I had to do was purchase 5 tins (5 gal) minimum at a time then they picked up the shipping difference. Just a thought.

So really, what's the difference in practice between CF and chlorinated...Chlorine is an extreme pressure additive. Has anyone run the same brand CF vs. C and noticed poor finish results with CF, or issues with tool wear, taps breaking, etc? We run 99% aluminum and my next change-out I'm going to CF just to see if I notice any difference.

Non-C is supposed to be environmentally healthier, which to me means my lungs might prefer it.

I read all the MSDS's I could, some are pretty scary! Our current coolant is very mild - Hangsterfers S-500, the MSDS is 0 health hazard and 0 reactivity so I figured that was good. I'm going to try the S-500CF next change.

I have heard from a couple of coolant reps that the CF coolants are more likely to foam up than the standard variants. They said that if you don't have a customer requirement to use a CF coolant (some aerospace and medical) you are much better off using the regular. I have used both S-500 and 2000 Universal and have never had any material staining troubles (as long as you blow the parts off as soon as you get them out of the machine) or skin problems. The synthetics do tear my hands up as well as other problems. On the downside with the S-500 and 2000 Universal is both can leave a brown buildup in your nice pretty machine. But it does easily wipe off with a coolant soaked rag at the end of a shift. My guys wipe out the machines every couple of months and it is good enough.

So really, what's the difference in practice between CF and chlorinated...Chlorine is an extreme pressure additive. Has anyone run the same brand CF vs. C and noticed poor finish results with CF, or issues with tool wear, taps breaking, etc? We run 99% aluminum and my next change-out I'm going to CF just to see if I notice any difference.

Non-C is supposed to be environmentally healthier, which to me means my lungs might prefer it.

I read all the MSDS's I could, some are pretty scary! Our current coolant is very mild - Hangsterfers S-500, the MSDS is 0 health hazard and 0 reactivity so I figured that was good. I'm going to try the S-500CF next change.

My partner likes Hangsterfers S-500 and I hate the smell, but he says it doesn't cause him any hand rashes...so ... we are using it. You see, we all have differences in the effects of coolant.

Hangsterfers S-500 never had a problem with it... other than (I don't like the smell)...

blaser 2000 (not cf) worked well but, it requires more maintenance -IMO... and I had foaming problems with it ... that were solved with a little calcium carbonate (at your local drug store), very benign stuff to add to your coolant...no hazard. Brown build up? Y,ep I've seen it with hard water.

Sooooo...you see...every coolant has it things to deal with...

Back