What's new
What's new

Cincinnati-Gilbert HBM experiences ?

SeaMoss

Banned
Anyone run one of these ? 4" or 5" size ? We have a guy who is interested in one, any real-world experience ? Speculation is not a help and we don't want a Doosan, thank you.

Run tons of them over the years, got 2 ancient ones by us in our small shop.

Is this CNC? The ones I ran were all manual, I didn't think they still made machines? Could of swore they got sold off awhile back.

As far as quality wise they were good machines, I prefer Wotan, Scharmann, or Union boring mills because of the integral rotary table.

Run tons of them over the years, got 2 ancient ones by us in our small shop.

Is this CNC? The ones I ran were all manual, I didn't think they still made machines? Could of swore they got sold off awhile back.

As far as quality wise they were good machines, I prefer Wotan, Scharmann, or Union boring mills because of the integral rotary table.

Everyone had a rotary table option.

HBM's without a rotary suck though.

Everyone had a rotary table option.

HBM's without a rotary suck though.

The Europen made machines seemed to have it "built-in" a lot more than the US makers. Same with the boring and facing head. All the rotary tables and boring/facing heads I've seen for US HBMs were separate tooling you took on and off. Not that I've seen everything, but my 3" Forges de Gilley HBM (made in Belgium) has the rotary table and boring/facing head literally built into the machine.

There is a 4" Cincinnati-Gilbert at the shop I've been working at. Was helping set up some large weldments in it yesterday.

The Europen made machines seemed to have it "built-in" a lot more than the US makers. Same with the boring and facing head. All the rotary tables and boring/facing heads I've seen for US HBMs were separate tooling you took on and off. Not that I've seen everything, but my 3" Forges de Gilley HBM (made in Belgium) has the rotary table and boring/facing head literally built into the machine.

There is a 4" Cincinnati-Gilbert at the shop I've been working at. Was helping set up some large weldments in it yesterday.

Mine is a 4" Kuraki.

Thank you guys. It looked nice but a little light to me but I've never used one so thought I'd ask. Retro-ed with a Fanuc but the interested buyer saw the price and wet his pants so I'll just put your feedback into the memory banks :(

You aren't wrong, but integral rotary table and auxiliary rotary tables ain't quite the same.

All the GL, Carlton, Lucas, Cincinatti Gilbert, Devlieg, Ingersoll, etc machines that I've seen (of older vintage mind you, mainly speaking manual) table type HBMs required their tables to be mounted to the main plain table.

I can't stand air lift tables, I ran a floor bar for a couple years with a busted air bladder, and having to rotate the table required a 10 foot pipe. Worst job of my life, since then I've never much cared for auxiliary rotary tables.

Back