What's new
What's new

Clamping advise

civicske2

Aluminum
Hy folks,
i am looking out to make a fixture plate at the size of the machine table to get soms more parts on the table.
you can see picture @ Dropbox - TEMP.pdf

Stock material is sheet cut RVS. we clamp at the left in a sagop vise and putting at the right 2bolts to support the part. becouse the parts are cut out of a plate the face that is resting on the parellels in the vise doesnt Always make a good contact. for now we can catch up with the shape by adjusting the bolts at the right so we do get e good support.
I was nog thinking of making a plate with miteebite pitbullclamps (Pitbull(R) Clamps | Mitee-Bite Products LLC.) but i was wondering if there was no better thing to support the part... i was thinking at 3points maybe, and pocket the rest so if just rests at 3 points... but i doubt this will be stable as we are making rough passes with facemill with round inserts Ap1mm Ae60mm Fz0.4 V220

the part is approx 300mm long, 25mm thik an 160 width

looking forward to heare some ideas

Does the finished product have any holes through it that you could put through first, and then bolt down that way?

PM

Three points is the most stable. 3 points defines a plane, so if just trsting on three points you shouldn't have any rock regardless of the waviness of the stock. So you should be plenty stable for face milling. Make the supports as far apart as possable.

There are floating supports. You have your three fixed points. Then there are spring loaded mechanisms that push against the part that you lock. Then you can have more support if needed, but still the three fixed points, so no rock.

The pitbulls work very well, in my experience.

Three points is the most stable. 3 points defines a plane, so if just trsting on three points you shouldn't have any rock regardless of the waviness of the stock. So you should be plenty stable for face milling. Make the supports as far apart as possable.

There are floating supports. You have your three fixed points. Then there are spring loaded mechanisms that push against the part that you lock. Then you can have more support if needed, but still the three fixed points, so no rock.

The pitbulls work very well, in my experience.

Hy
3points stud on my kaliber plate, what should i do, islands from +-25x25mm? 3times?
and about the floating studs, seems nice to me to damp vibrations. but how can i put my part on the 3points fixed if there is pressure from the floating studs...

we use the pitbubull clamps for a while but never for heavy machining. and its not working well when your parts have not the same size...
thnx for the reply

We used to do like that but with three dimple recesses at out board end for pointed mill jacks..using just the center one sometimes and the two at other times depending on the job...and having side bolt holes for adding a bump rails like a surface grinder chuck.

How about making some ~275mm long soft jaws for the vise? Maybe two vises set up like that on your table?

PM

Is the picture the completely finished part, as in you are not omitting any details like chamfers on the edges? What is RVS? Are you starting with rectangular bars or near net shapes? How many parts are you making? The more info you give us the more detailed our responses will be.

Hold down.. an Allen head cap screw is good and one with a side hole is even better..at times you just leave the allen wrench through the hole and use that for a handle..other times you may leave the wrench in the bolt head.. other times tighten and remove the wrench to set it on the bench..The wide handles on fancy clamp screws can get in the way or be bumped by accident IMHO.

A wedge hold down can be great for a dedicated fixture but not that good for an any job fixture. cavities can be a time consumer for clean-up between one part and the next.

Back