What's new
What's new

Opinions on YCM machines

mitcht

Plastic
Looking for some opinions from anyone that owns or has experience running YCM machines. Are they a good quality machine? We are looking at there traveling column mill the TCV 3000

The only experience I've had with a YCM machine was a little Supermax knee mill that had been fitted with a Fagor control. Not a retrofit, but I believe straight out of the factory with the CNC setup on it. No tool changer, Cat 30. My first CNC programming experience and running any CNC mill.
I didn't care for the Fagor programming book, but then I don't care for ANY programming book I've ever encountered. Loved the control, after I got it figured out. But that's just the Fagor part, you may or may not have that brand control. The machine itself, as far as the iron and how well it cut, was just fine. I was actually quite impressed with how well it would repeat and cut. I was in a mold shop, and one of the earliest jobs I had was a kidney shaped O ring seal for a concrete pump. Shuttle valve oscillates the seal back and forth. German made piece of equipment, long lead time to get a new part, plus an astronomical price tag. Our customer was a custom rubber molder. We cut the very limited run mold primarily with a 3/4" inserted two flute ball mill in A36 plate. Not the toughest material in the world, but steel none the less. Didn't have enough Y axis travel, so I had to drill and ream a datum point out in the middle of the mold, through both plates, cut the Y+ side, move the ram out, and then cut the Y- side. Worked like a champ. Barely needed polishing, even at the overlap between Y+ and Y-. Very rigid little machine. If your traveling column machine is made as well as that little mill was, it should serve you well. There is a lot of difference between that little machine I was on and the machine you are considering, but if the company puts that much care into a little machine, I expect they will with something as involved as a traveling column machine.

Looking for some opinions from anyone that owns or has experience running YCM machines. Are they a good quality machine? We are looking at there traveling column mill the TCV 3000

My question to you is why are you attracted to it? Why would you buy it?

DSCF0531.jpg
Poor picture of the part referenced by gorrilla. Test run without metal insert with all the flash still on it.

From the few YCM's I have been around, the construction seems to be above average for Taiwanese machines.

I work in Ycm lathe 8 years (2007). 8 years no problem.Only changes bios batery.In fabric where I work we have Nakamura-tome, Kia, Daewoo, More Seiki, Ikegai, Star, Okuma, Takisawa lathe...But I love YCM, is the best machine for me...Hold dimension, quick setup programs and tool holder, good control unit, mesaure tool, everething work perfect. Quality material is not the best, but is good.

I ran Matsuura's for years vertical and horizontal. I got a job where they had 4 YCM supermax's man they won me over.
Reliable accurate well made machines. I hear all about Haas machines and there great service and ease of repair.
But that's just it YCM's in my experience, just don't break down.
I would buy one again!
Jon

We have had the YMC FX350A 5 Axis with Heidenhain iTC530 Control and 60 Tool Carousel for 3 years. It has been down for 1 day in that time with a broken door plunger. This has been a vary realiable and accurate machine. We have just recently bought a YMC NMV106A 3 Axis with iTC530 because we are so pleased with the first machine. We also run 2 off Bridgeport XR1000 and I off XR760. 5 off Cincinatti's. Kevin

Back