What's new
What's new

CNC apprentice program

BSCustoms

Cast Iron
I am looking for project ideas to be incorporated into our CNC curriculum for our apprentices. Some of the ideas are: multi axis vise stop, speed vise handle, screw jacks.

This program is based on 2 axis lathe work, 2.5D and 3+1 programming. Yes, I know quite basic. It nice for the guys to make useful things that aren't just learning items to go in the scrap bin.

We will be getting to the more advanced stuff at a later date. baby bites.

Thank you.

feature15.jpg

Always a good project for them

I'd suggest something practical like copying a Versa grip vise jaw and the grip buttons. While not wanting to horn in on Mitee-Bites business, this is probably something that could be useful (if the parts are heat treated) to raise awareness of other workholding methods that are worth knowing about.

Another project would be a morse taper ejector. The one I designed and built is like a slide hammer, but is totally enclosed so that it has no pinch points (which is a bad feature of slide hammers). It can also be bottomed out and struck with a hammer if the taper is really tight. Been a very useful tool for the last 30 years or so.

feature15.jpg

Always a good project for them

This is a good project for a Manual lathe and 3 jaw chuck.

1-2-3-Blocks is IMO the start point, for students you have a way to "grade" the finished part Z, ZZ or ZZZ

Robert

EDIT I forgot it was lathe. I think the tap guide is a good idea. I think adding single point (not tapping) would be good too.

Thank you for the input guys.

I made an error in the original post. This will be lathe and mill work. I meant 2 axis lathe and 2.5D, 3+1 mill.

These are all great ideas. Some of these are covered elsewhere in our apprenticeship.

Back at school we made a press drill vice. I still use it and there is a lot of stuff to show in that. Knurling, acme, fit, ...

Screw jacks - set of 4
Vise stop ('s)
Vee block
123 blocks
Tap wrench
Indicator holders, can never have enough ways to mount an indicator.
Setup pins, I.e. half rounds, tooling ball mounts, 3/4 rounds, etc. Can never have enough ways to pickup a part.
Angle "parallels" (I know oxymoron)
ER collet block. Would be a great exercise for the CNC lathe and mill combined.
Kant twist clamps in a couple sizes.
Vise jaw for a 6" "kurt" with accurately placed holes for dowel pins at different angles and such.

Look at making stuff that will teach skills, and be useful in their careers. I remember making a round bar with a taper, couple shoulders, a knurl, chamfer and a threaded section. Ya I learned how to do all those things, but it's completely useless. Can't even make it into a hammer handle as its a terrible fit for the hand. I did make a small 1" vise though, and wish I still had it. No idea where it got to.

Good job, thinking of ways to update your program.

A fair quality sine bar can be made on the mill if your guys start with some annealed drill-rod and a piece of square-bar.
They can turn the rolls from any round stock if you want to teach them about inspecting for taper and roundness.

That project gives them an opportunity to learn how to square up a piece of stock, cut a couple of shoulders, drill and tap, etc.

When finished, you can take them over to the surface plate and teach them how to inspect the whole mess and correct errors.

You also get to teach them about how to use the sine bar.

The rolls could be heat treated if you want to add a little metallurgy discussion and give them a tool that will last.
Finally, if grinding is a desired topic, you could heat-treat and grind the bar bodies too.

Back