What's new
What's new

CNC to Laptop interface

tella

Plastic
Couple questions, im a student 3 weeks into learning this so bare with me...

First question is, can anyone tell me what kind of port this is?

Its located right along the left side of the display screen on the fanuc control. In addition to this port, one of the machines contains a usb under the same access cover leading me to believe it is some kind of input interface.

IMAG0062.jpg IMAG0063.jpg

Ultimately what i want to accomplish is an easy way to connect my laptop to different CNC's to upload programs. The machines also have standard serial ports which im sure i could track down a serial to usb if thats the easiest way.

My second question is a bit more general. The school I am going to has only had this program going a couple years. I am trying to convince them to purchase some sort of CNC Emulator like NC Plot (this is the only one ive played around with a bit so far). Can anyone recommend something like this? I know companies that sell CNC's often will sell a training program along with the machine, has anybody come across this?

Any help, suggestions, or advice are greatly appreciated.

Looks like a zip drive or some type of DAT tape port to me but I'm just guessing.

I've been programing and machining for about 25 years and it's still fun most of the time.

Bill

On a Fanuc Oi TC its a PCMCIA port, but that one looks more like a compact flash port. I don't believe that you can communicate directly with the control thru that port. You can use a compact flash card found in a lot of old digital cameras, but if you set in using a laptop, you'd have to use the RS232 port.

Each control manufacturer would require its own cable because each manufacturer has a different pin configuration.

Flash makes sense, i know theres been alot of incarnations over the years for professional photographers - just never kept up on them myself. Thought with these being new controls it might be something new i just hadnt heard of.

The RS232 is right on the side which is convenient. They have it set up with an RJ45 adapter there, would that setup work or would you guys suggest going straight serial to usb?

Compact flash is the way to go, I don't know that 1GB will work, I know I bought a 4GB thinking bigger is better then found it would'nt work (apparently too big). I think a 32 or 64 MB is what was recommended and works for me, I'd have to see at the shop tommorow what Im using (verifed its a 128MB CFC). At the settings page you'll need set the communication channel @ 4 then with the card plugged in and after pressing a few soft keys "card" or "mem card" should show up. When the NCF is on the CFC name it with a 4 digit prog. #, those files will show up on the screen then, now press that prog # (ex 1414) and then the "O-SET" soft key then "READ" soft key then "EXECUTE" soft key. Punch files the same way except punch and FILE # as "F-SET". Ive only started using this method about a month ago and love it. Also on some of the newer controls with the proper parameter set you can actually read/execute programs right from the CFC by using M198 from your main (ex M198 P1414) would read program # 1414 from the CFC. I havent used the M198 option yet but proved it out on a fanuc 32-I control, it will be used sooner than later....
good luck
Jeff

Last edited:

Back