What's new
What's new

Haas TM1 v's VF1

newtocnc

Plastic
Hi,
As a training (trade school) CNC milling machine, we are looking at a Haas TM1 v’s VF1. Is the VF1 worth the extra money? The main focus is to get the students basic CNC machine hands on experience.
Thanks

The enclosed machine is MUCH safer...specially when they have the ability to rapid into something.

The enclosed machine is MUCH safer...specially when they have the ability to rapid into something.

The TM-1 is available with a full enclosure. The enclosure is surely safer. Especially in a student environment.

I've used both in a junior college lab (TM1 and VF0, actually). I don't think the VF series did anything better as a learning tool. Students don't need tons of power, more tools in the changer, larger dimensions, or faster speeds, in my opinion.

a TM-1 would be good for a school atmosphere. we got one when i was still in trade school and i learned quite a bit with it. It was the basic model we got it in 2003 no enclosure, no coolant or tool changer. we rigged a hose along the head to use air to blow shavings from the tool while it was cutting. it would have been nice to have the tool changer but it wasn't necessary for what we were doing.

The main focus is to get the students basic CNC machine hands on experience.

Instead of one VF-1, spend a few more bucks and get two TM-1s or two Minimills. The current TM-1 comes standard with an enclosure. Tool changers and coolant are options on the TM-1, standard on the Minimill.

Students learn when they're standing in front of the control panel with their hands on the buttons, not standing in the back watching another student operate the machine.

Haas control panel simulators are also valuable teaching tools that you may want to look into.

I have a co-worker that is selling his 2007 TM-1 HAAS. Original owner. Knows he's a little high on price.

Haas TM-1 CNC Mill

Tom

Not sure you can retrofit that one with the enclosure. I would agree that the enclosure would be important...and from there I can't see one being better or worse in a student environment...other than the VF may be more forgiving when that "oops" happens.

Back