What's new
What's new

CNC lathe general noise - LB15 Okuma specifically..

GibsonI

Aluminum
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at putting an Okuma LB15 in our workshop and am worried about operation noise. It will be located in another shed separate from our manual Colchester Triumph 2000 and mill etc. The shed is a standard steel frame and wall shed with neighbors houses just across the road.

Hence my concern.

How much noise can I inspect from an LB15 running? I really don't want the neighbors to hear it in their yard and certainly not in their house. It's a quiet area.

Will I have to build a sound wall around it?

Thanks for your comments.

Iain.

You won't hear the machine itself, but you may have noise from an indexable drill or a squealing boring bar.
It all depends on what kind of work you're doing.

Like Dew said there won't be much noise from the machine, your compressor will be much louder in comparison. (even though with a superior machine like and LB you don't need an air compressor, those little guys just want to make parts, unlike some other Mori-who, Maza-what :blahblah: :)) But dependent on the operations then you will be getting noise.

Robert my ±2

Thanks Guys. Sounds like you think fairly highly of Okuma. Sounds like if I want to be sure not to have neighbors complain I should build a room for it.

Any thoughts on putting Centre lathe in the same room? Triumph 2000 throws chips everywhere is my main concern, potentially all over and around a very tidy Okuma.

Any thoughts on putting Centre lathe in the same room? Triumph 2000 throws chips everywhere is my main concern, potentially all over and around a very tidy Okuma.
If you let that Okuma have it's head, it will bury itself in it's own chips / swarf. You're not putting a jig borer / grinder in the same space.

I wouldn't be concerned about it if you can use a broom and square mouth shovel.

You wouldn't happen to be, the bloke that was rattling every bearing house in the country, about a set of NN3016K's today in a UP-20 grade?

Regards Phil.

I would not expect a CNC machine of any type to last a long time unless it was in an insulated building with some kind of air conditioning.
Of course I am not familiar with your are. Maybe the temp is almost constant, the humidity never gets over 35%, and there is no blowing dust. If you have any insulation for temperature and humidity control there will be less noise potentially affecting your neighbors.

Phil, no not me :-) Thanks for the comments.

FredC, thanks for your reply. I am surprised at your comment only because I have hardly ever seen a production CNC machine in an airconditioned room (Queensland Australia). Is this based on North American cold?

Thanks all for your help.

I worked in a shop with some LB15s, and I think the folks who are saying it won't make any noise are comparing them to other, noisier machines. If it's the only thing making sound, you'll hear the spindle winding up and down and like others mentioned you could get quite a bit of noise from cutting operations. Some insulation on the walls should keep it under control, though.

I work with Okuma LC20 ( bigger than LB15s) and the sound depends on what Im machining, steel rough it's ok but stainless steel makes so much noise and it dependes on depth of cut too, but if you are drilling take aware of chatter

Back