What's new
What's new

CNC Machine for customizing Motorcycle Rims

incognit0

Plastic
Looking for information on CNC Machines that are able to customize motorcycle rims. Information on exactly what kind of CNC machine is needed for this kind of custom machining.

Can anybody help me?

"Saw it on the tv"

So it must be true then. I've heard that you get your own TV show if you use a Haas on motorcycle parts. Comes with the package.

Chip

"saw it on tv"

They always make them on VF3's, lol. Somehow there are never any chips either. Every time I see that I just go "right..."

OP- if you're serious, figure out how large of a wheel you want to be able to machine. The big wheel conversions are going up to 30".

A horizontal would be ideal, gravity is working in your favor. I would look for a machine with sufficient travel to do the entire wheel. Say 28" of X and Y. If you start with a blank you don't have to machine the periphery.

If you want the machine for other parts, a VMC is more versatile. But it's a pretty large mill that will give you enough Y axis for big wheels. You can do half and half, but you will need to be able to rotate the blank accurately.

I would also suggest you talk to your insurance company about the liabilities before you jump in with both feet.

I did that for a bit; any old VMC will do the job. If I were buying new for that task I'd probably get a VF-6SS with the 15KRPM spindle and 40+1 ATC. And probing of course. I never would have suggested a Haas before two years ago, but since then I've been making medical devices including Titanium bone plates and 17-4 H900 tools on a VF-3SS with a trunnion. I've been very pleasantly surprised at how capable the machine is. More realistically you'll look for something on the used market, and the condition, price, and options will make more difference than the brand.

I made many motorcycle parts and wheels .From sport bikes to 32 inch harley wheels .It is nice to have a machine with enuff travel so you dont have to rotate .All you have to do is locate on a hub with the hub holes and go from there .Any mill will do .I have done them on Haas and Okuma.Just need a blank and its on.If i ever figure out how to load a video on here ill down load one i made.

I did that for a bit; any old VMC will do the job. If I were buying new for that task I'd probably get a VF-6SS with the 15KRPM spindle and 40+1 ATC. And probing of course. I never would have suggested a Haas before two years ago, but since then I've been making medical devices including Titanium bone plates and 17-4 H900 tools on a VF-3SS with a trunnion. I've been very pleasantly surprised at how capable the machine is. More realistically you'll look for something on the used market, and the condition, price, and options will make more difference than the brand.

No don't say good things about a Haas...the Jap tool wackers may get butt hurt...

Back