What's new
What's new

Cnc max help

scottmeo

Plastic
Hello all. New to this forum. Need some help.
I have a small fabrication company . One of my contracts is threading 1/4 20 holes in 3/16 in aluminum plate. I do these by the thousands. When i first started and still do, i made a fixture rigged up a reverse switch on my drill press and use combination drill tap bits. Works great but standing in front of a drill press all day is for the birds.
So i bought a benchtop cnc, from cnc masters to try and speed things up. Im trying to do same thing by using drill taps. But keep breaking bits. Ive tried different rpms but out come is same.
Am i totally out of line by trying to do this procedure this way?? Have others tried using combination drill taps on cnc? Any help or suggestions appreciated!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You need to use a drilling cycle for the drilling portion of the tool and a tapping cycle for the tapping portion. Tapping feedrate is dependent on RPM.

Also, if you don't have rigid tapping feature on your machine you will need to use an extension/compression holder and adjust the feed accordingly.
Probably won't work too good for the drilling portion.

Why not use a tapping head on the drillpress?

You need to use a drilling cycle for the drilling portion of the tool and a tapping cycle for the tapping portion. Tapping feedrate is dependent on RPM.

Also, if you don't have rigid tapping feature on your machine you will need to use an extension/compression holder and adjust the feed accordingly.
Probably won't work too good for the drilling portion.

Why not use a tapping head on the drillpress?
I do have a rigud tapping feature. Im new to this whole cnc stuff so learning as i go.
Any suggestions on how to write that in my program? Im assuming the drill part would be separate line. followed by the rigid tap line??
Honestly the way i have drill press set up now it works great. I can do 150+ of these plates a hr. Just sucks standing there all day. Wanted to be somewhat automated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Honestly, the drill press is the fastest way. I highly doubt you're going to match that on a CNC.
Even if you fixture up multiple parts, you'll spend so much time loading/unloading the fixture that any savings will be lost.

The only way you MAY save some time/effort would be fixture up the CNC to do the drilling on multiple parts and do the tapping in the DP with a tapping head.

I had a job like this that ran for 8 yrs. 250pcs per week every week. I'd drill a boatload on the CNC
and tap 250 a week on the drill press.

Back