What's new
What's new

CNC Operator -Looking for advice-

illmatic

Plastic
Hello,
I've been running 3 CNC machines at a small manufacturing company for the past 8 months, mostly pushing the green button and I recently got the chance to focus more on learning g codes and hopefully learning how to do the set ups and programming, I didn't go to college so what do you guys think is the most important thing to learn?

We work with aluminum and zinc parts.

Just recently we lost our programmer so maybe that's why they want to train from the inside, It's also a family owned business my dad is part owner, his not around much but anyways I’ve heard that 80% of learning is doing it hands on? The company has 20+ employees but only 2 in the CNC department now that the other guy left.

I'm 25 years old and love working with CNC machines I did shipping and receiving at the same company for about 5 years and other repetitive jobs but I think I like this the most.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum... Thanks again this is my first post looking forward to many more!

CNC Machines
Fadal CNC 88
Fanuc Series 21
Fanuc Series 0 Mate

:):D;):D:)

Learn how to get along with others- they will ultimately train and lead you to success
Learn how to read a print
Learn how to process a part properly
Learn how to calculate feeds and Speeds
Learn why we use cutters for certain purposes
Learn how to inspect your part

Illmatic is a pretty sweet username- but it sound like you have a ways to go yet ;)

As of right now I get along with everyone and do my best to inspect every single part with "No Go" gauge and calipers if needed to assure the best part, I don't hesitate to scrap any part that doesn't pass the test.

Do you know of any software or books that teach you to read blue prints? I would love to learn as soon as possible as we are getting busier and expect allot more in house CNC work to be done.

We have MasterCamX7 & 8 but do you think that program is the one to learn? or is there any other noobie friendly software for beginners? I've been playing with a program called Predator Virtual for a few days now is that one any good to learn?

How much math knowledge is required? I know there's some geometry and algebra I'm wondering if I'll need to go back to school for a class just to get a refresher.

I think featurecam still has a free place on its site, if you want to practice on your own. Easy-to-use CAM software for milling machines and turn/mill centres - FeatureCAM - www.featurecam.com. But since they're already using MasterCam, you might ask the boss if you have training software already. If not, there are some books on amazon. If you're already familiar with computers, MasterCam is pretty easy, just work through one of the books. If you're not, there might be a community college near you that offers classes, you might be able to just jump in for that class. I started from scratch on MasterCam and didn't find it too hard to work with. Good luck!

As of right now I get along with everyone and do my best to inspect every single part with "No Go" gauge and calipers if needed to assure the best part, I don't hesitate to scrap any part that doesn't pass the test.

Do you know of any software or books that teach you to read blue prints? I would love to learn as soon as possible as we are getting busier and expect allot more in house CNC work to be done.

We have MasterCamX7 & 8 but do you think that program is the one to get and learn? or is there any other noobie friendly software for beginners? I've been playing with a program called Predator Virtual for a few days now is that one any good to learn?

Mastercam will be fine to learn on IMO... that's what I started on.

There are books on print reading...Hard to recommend a good one, because I cant reed too good. Find one with good pictures. Focus on GDand T... The first thing you should be looking at when you pick up a print is your Datum targets. Then look for the tight numbers... and don't forget to read the notes on your print.

You have to learn the rhyme and reason for the things that are happening around you. This is why new guys get stuck on production work. It is the hope they are observant enough to observe the important things happening all around them(that and cheap labor). Most of this will be learned on the job, providing you didn't piss of your mentors. If they like you, they will be happy to see you succeed.

operator

Hello,
I've been running 3 CNC machines at a small manufacturing company for the past 8 months, mostly pushing the green button and I recently got the chance to focus more on learning g codes and hopefully learning how to do the set ups and programming, I didn't go to college so what do you guys think is the most important thing to learn?

We work with aluminum and zinc parts.

Just recently we lost our programmer so maybe that's why they want to train from the inside, It's also a family owned business my dad is part owner, his not around much but anyways I’ve heard that 80% of learning is doing it hands on? The company has 20+ employees but only 2 in the CNC department now that the other guy left.

I'm 25 years old and love working with CNC machines I did shipping and receiving at the same company for about 5 years and other repetitive jobs but I think I like this the most.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum... Thanks again this is my first post looking forward to many more!

CNC Machines
Fadal CNC 88
Fanuc Series 21
Fanuc Series 0 Mate

:):D;):D:)
as a fellow CNC operator i recommend
1) study your cnc machine programming and operating manuals
2) study setup procedure, pictures, sketches, etc you use to setup jobs. learn to
read and write them. add information to anything hard to understand.
3) i use a program printout which is in 3 ring binder notebook. in it i have tool feeds
and speeds in sfpm and ipt. i look ahead in program to see what is coming next. i add
M0 and message when ever it is a good ideal to let operator to warn or explain what to
do next. sometimes notes are just in program print out book if too early to change
program. i record all early tool failures in program print out with name and date. all
program changes are recorded with name and date. usually you need data or facts to
support any program change
4) i have an excel file listing all tools used and feeds and speeds and materials. and
record all early tool failures. you should be able to look up tool 12000053 normally
runs at a range of rpm and feeds for certain materials and know what the highs and lows
are normally used. tool information like length of tool and length of tool holder is recorded
5) i use a startup check list for each type of machine i run. things on checklist is anything
that caused a problem before and if you saw on checklist it would prevent the same
problem from happening again. i record work offsets used, any tool offsets i set and or
adjusted. using a checklist on each setup i find has lowered my scrap rate to close to
zero
6) we use a excel file with a inspection checklist. it is part a setup reminder sheet and
a record of measurements. basically anything on a startup or a inspection check list is
anything that needs to be done or not forgotten or anything that caused a problem before
ideally using procedures and checklist a average machinist who has not used a machine
in a year should be able to run machine without problems of forgetting something.
only one thing worse than scrapping a part it is making the same mistake again and
scrapping a 2nd part. learn from any mistakes and adapt

You can learn a lot from just watching and observing what goes by on the screen while the machine is cutting.
You can learn a typcal lathe start, how you call tools, select the speed. G96 is always the speed in SFM(Surface feet per minute), G97 means you call the speed in RPM.
Here is a simple example from my website(doccnc.com)

Fanuc Lathe Program Example.
Part is 2" OD, will be finish faced with OD skin cut taken.
O2001(Program number)
N1G50S2500(The G50 sets up safe max speed.)
N2T0101(Tool index to position 1, use tool offset 1 to set tool and to change part size.)
N3 G96S650M3(G96 is Constant Surface Feet, S is amount, M3 is spindle on CW.)
N4G0X2.1Z0(Rapid to above OD and face of part.)
N5G1X.5F.006(Face to .500 at a feed of .006 per rev.
N6G0X2.0Z.1(Rapid to 2" diam. and clear part on way up.)
N7G1Z-1.0F.001(Cut left at F.001.)
N8G0X6.0Z6.0(Rapid to clear for loading new part, newer controls do not need tool offset cancellation.)
N9M30( Ends program, resets memory to start.)
Usually coolant is used, M8 is on, M9 is off.
There are many more if you want to look and start learning more.
Go to YouTube, put in my name: Heinz Putz, you will get a detailed free DVD that teaches most parts of CNC lathe and mill programming, also machine setup.
Heinz, good luck in learning, once you learn all parts of CNC, you can get a really good job anywhere.

Read through every post you can here regardless of whether you think it applies to your situation or not. Watch the vids posted here, watch other vids on Youtube. Search the tube for 'CNC crash' and imagine how to avoid that happening. Learning g-code and programming is just a small part of getting the part made.

I went to college and got my A.A. in CNC Machinig and programming. I learned a lot and was a great place to start, but I was 17. A lot of what I learned I never use and I learned a lot in the field. It sounds like you have a good base. If you have got people there that know what they are doing and will show you that is your best bet, otherwise a class or two on the side in areas you need the most help in are a good idea. As far as math Trig and geometry will get you farthest. If you are a decent reader find old cheap books and start with that. You had a good idea reaching out to others for answers and advice. I am always learning new things from others.
One last thing, you don't need a degree but should you wish to go somewhere else, your years of experience are great, but the degree is eye candy. It can be a bear, but it looks good on paper. No matter what way you choose your attitude about it will get you there.

Seems like you are getting pretty sound advice from the others here.........I would add in that if you are serious about becoming a good machinist or programmer or wherever you see yourself fitting in. I would reccomend going to some night school. Believe me, i understand schools do not teach everything a guy needs to know......hell.....I would say i had to forget 50% of what they taught at my first job. But there is no better place to F..K up than on your own project on a piece of equipment owned by the school rather than a piece of equipment that the company needs making profit. Just my .02 cents.

As far as reading a print goes, I would pick up a book on GD&T. I see more and more prints come in with GD&T callouts over traditional tolerances.

Geo-Metrics taught me a lot. It gives good examples.
Geo-Metrics II As Based upon Harmonization of National and International Standards Practices: Lowell W. Foster: 9780201115277: Amazon.com: Books

Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing was an easy read. A good introduction to GD&T
http://www.amazon.com/Geometric-Dim...ywords=Geometric+Dimensioning+and+Tolerancing

YouTube!!!!!!!!!!!

There is so much info on there it's insane.
When you get home from work, just start watching machining videos,there are a TON of training videos on Mastercam, BP reading, you name it, it's on there.

Do you know of any software or books that teach you to read blue prints? ... I've been playing with a program called Predator Virtual for a few days now is that one any good to learn? .... How much math knowledge is required? I know there's some geometry and algebra I'm wondering if I'll need to go back to school for a class just to get a refresher.

Here's a couple books:

Blueprint Reading Basics: Warren Hammer: 9780831131258: Amazon.com: Books

CNC Programming Handbook, Third Edition: 9780831133474: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com

These should help you a great deal. The latter book (CNC Prog) is Fanuc-centric and you will find it's WAAAAYYY better a reference than anything Fanuc ever produced in terms of documentation. Unless you're just itchin' for confusion then stick to the Fanuc docs. You should find the information in this book handy for the Fadal as well as it's Fanuc compatible in terms of G-code. The Fadal documentation is okay, but will lead you in circles until you find what you're looking for.

The Predator Editor will allow you to write G-code and you can simulate the code to see the end result, but beware NOT ALL things can be simulated and you can still crash the machine. It might be okay to see the results of a circular interpolation move, but with the lack of scale you won't know if you've calc'd the radius correctly. I rely on it to detect what I call 'Crazy Ivans' (taken from the movie Hunt for Red October). I'm horrible at putting the "-" where it needs to be in a circular move and the simulator helps flesh those mistakes out. And, while hand coding I may forget to retract the tool to the clearance plane and the sim helps point out those bone head mistakes as well. Once you load your code up on the Fadal use the 'SU' (SUM) feature to help point out flaws in your code like mis-calc'd radii in the circular moves.

You can wing most everything in the shop with CAD, but it helps to know when and where to apply the fancy math skills. If you have a vague idea of what formula to apply but can't remember then the internet will be your friend. But, you should really bone up on some algebra, trig, and gee-i'm-a-tree if you want to have intelligent conversations with your customers and engineers. And, if you're going to use the "fifty-cent" words you should really know what they mean and how to spell them. :D

Really the only thing I got out of tech school was a piece of paper. A piece of paper that sits in a box in my spare bedroom. A piece of paper. Most of it could have been learned while at work, and reading the manual, which is pretty much what I did at school. Read the manual. Look in your notes. Ask somebody else. Blah blah fucking blah. Unless you want to work with a bunch of half ass lazy pieces of shit at tech school, who do nothing but take up machine time and tool box space, just stay at work.

It's all been said. Nice to see a guy who wants to learn and do well. Put in the effort and keep your eyes on the goal. Don't have unrealistic expectations about money and getting quick pay raises, it takes time. The world owes you nothing you have to earn it. Keep a good positive attitude and do a good job, work and care like you own the place and in time it will pay off.

Nice post I wish you well and know you will succeed

Ron

Back