What's new
What's new

CNC Operator Salaries

pntr815

Plastic
Hello all....
So, I'm an older guy, 58 years old and I was a machinist in a former life. I've worked with manual lathes, manual milling machines, bandsaws etc., all the normal run of the mill type stuff but nothing really large. A shop where I worked bought an old Bridgeport which had been retrofitted with CNC capabilities and no one knew how to run it so I taught myself. NO clue what the CAD program was way back then though. I'm considering going back to school to a Community College to learn CNC Precision Machining Technology but it kind of says the salary is only in the $18.00/hour range. My questions are these: Is this really the salary a semi-skilled machinist with CNC education can really expect to make? I say semi-skilled because it's been so long ago although I know a lot though my knowledge may be irrelevant in today's marketplace. I'm also not overly skilled in mathematics so that would have to be brought up to snuff. What do you guys think? Is this a worthwhile career field or are the starting salaries more akin to apprenticeship money? I appreciate any input you can provide. Thanks all.
Vince.

Completely comes down to your area and local demand. Philly's $18 might be LA's $24 but that comes with all the other associated higher costs of living.

Entry level operators are generally not paid very well, but then they don't need to know very much. You've probably forgotten more than an entry level operator needs to know. You'd probably be happier and paid better if you can find someone that needs a model maker or prototyper, then you can mix manual and CNC as needed to get the job done.

Back