What's new
What's new

CNC router options........what's out there?

david n

Diamond
A friend of ours is looking for a CNC router for her sign company. She needs to cut minimum of 4x8' sheets of MDF, plastics, wood, aluminum(<1/4"), etc. Her shop has 3ph and plenty of space. No production work, but she has some repeat work. She's thinking she would cut a few sheets of material daily.

I have no experience with routers and have no clue what is out there. I told her not to buy too cheap/light and buy something that has a track record(good service/solid company). Her budget is under $50k.

What's out there?

Multicam and Techno CNC seem to have good reputations in that price range. I ran an older Multicam router with HSK spindle and ATC a couple years ago and it was solid.

People seem to like Shopbot for something a little cheaper and lighter duty. I hear of people running them in production in furniture/cabinet shops and support/community is supposedly good.

That category seems to be saturated with no-name Chinese machines right now. I'd stay away from those because of poor support and unpredictable quality. Sounds like you've already warned her off those though...

I'd advise her to also budget for a high quality, high CFM vacuum pump as well. We had a Travaini 30HP unit although that may be a little overkill. It makes spoilboard workholding much simpler. The high CFM is key for doing short run/one-off stuff so you can just let the vacuum bleed through the whole spoilboard rather than needing to cut gasket grooves for each part setup.

KOMO makes a great machine. Would not be afraid of a used one. They had a variety of controls on them- Fanuc, Siemens etc. If ya gota have new then that's probably not an option, but I'd take a used quality machine over a new POS.
DO NOT even consider a Motion Master- they are out of business-- - - for a reason.
The advise for a vacuum system is definitely solid- so not skimp on that!
The other thing is dust collection- another area to not skimp on- a router can make a pile of chips in a short period, and you want those off the machine as they get made- not later.
Then ya gotta program it- software- ?? Master Cam or ???

Back