What's new
What's new

CNC Shop Mill bullet proof which brand?

Jaden

Aluminum
Hi all just need an idea which brand to go with for home shop mill CNC. I have about 32 square feet set aside for mill and eight foot ceiling. Looking for the largest CNC mid range mill, not a toy but not those huge industrial ones either. Something between the 1000 to 5000 lb range up to 3 HP range that will be somewhat robust. Also something that will cut helical gears for me. So many brands so far and maybe some no one has mentioned.
Sherline
Shop Bot
Haas
Techno-isel
Robo Drill

Price range up to 10k, any other ideas please let me know, leary about auctions because I don't know enough what to check for.

Last edited:
Are you really putting Sherline and Shop Bot on the same list as a haas or robo drill? Have you done any research whatsoever?

You need to to do some more research and come back to use after you have done this. The type of mill you are looking for are not really talked about here and you will have better answers at another forum.

Looking for the largest CNC mid range mill, not a toy but not those huge industrial ones either.

There are many CNC machines that could be called bullet proof, but NONE are idiot proof!

Having read some of your previous posts, I recommend that you take a very deep breath.
You're bouncing around like a pin ball!

In an earlier post you mentioned a scale Cat/Komatsu dozer. Have you made the drawings yet?
Do you have an idea of the work envelope you'll need?
Do you have an idea of the tooling and fixtures you'll need?

When the dozer is done............what next?

No machine will cut helical gears "for you".
YOU will have to set up the machine with the appropriate tooling and program.

Rex

Are you really putting Sherline and Shop Bot on the same list as a haas or robo drill? Have you done any research whatsoever?

That list of names was given to me by other fellow forum users as suggestions, disrespecting me is disrespecting other users also. Asking for brand names to consider IS RESEARCHING. Talking to people who OWN and have firsthand EXPERIENCE with those brands is best.

There are many CNC machines that could be called bullet proof, but NONE are idiot proof!

In an earlier post you mentioned a scale Cat/Komatsu dozer. Have you made the drawings yet?
Do you have an idea of the work envelope you'll need?
Do you have an idea of the tooling and fixtures you'll need?

When the dozer is done............what next?

No machine will cut helical gears "for you".
YOU will have to set up the machine with the appropriate tooling and program.

Rex

Yes it's a scaled Dozer, Do I have any drawings? No Do I need any? Well I know the dimensions for all the parts if asked. Every project I ever did with woodworking or whet not I worked it out mentally and all work fine. I don't go off plans, the pieces just fall into place like a puzzle. I play a lot of chess and perhaps that has developed my inner eye in that regard.

Yes I have many other projects I plan on doing but as most of you guys say BUY THE BIGGEST MACHINE YOU CAN AFFORD and/or HAVE ROOM FOR.

Sherline
Shop Bot
Haas
Techno-isel
Robo Drill

Price range up to 10k

Sorry dude. Asking for information on this forum that is readily available through multiple sources with a minimal amount of searching does not count as research.

Why don't you tell us which of the mills on your list cost less than 10k and which ones have a work envelope meeting your needs. The union of those two sets will be your starting point.

You really should buy and read a basic machining textbook that covers CNC. Some basic background knowledge would help you a lot.

Teryk

Used prices are really high right now. Nothing under $10k new is worth having if your goal is to cut functional gears out of metal. How pressing is this project?

It might be a lot more economical to buy the machine that would fill most of your needs most of the time, the other stuff like helical gears or whatever that 2% is that you cannot do yourself, might well be available off the shelf or worth outsourcing. The end product will still be yours, even if you didn't make everything yourself. (just think motors, bearings etc.)

If you don't already own a manual mill or lathe, that would be an excellent place to start. You could even retrofit over time as your needs develop and skill set broadens.
Keep reading and learning and grow with your needs and your abilities. Manual machines helps you to develop a "feel" for the process and material that you could never get running a CNC.
Good Luck

PS. Why don't you show us what you've done so far so we can get a better idea of what you're into?
PPS. I don't think the integrex e-1850V falls within your budget or space requirements - quite yet.

Last edited:
with that price you should look at tormach. It is going to be the only one that will be half way decent under 10k. I don't think haas, robodrill, or even a brother speedio will fall close to under 10k. They are in a different category altogether.

Thank you 358 Mustang, I'll add that one to my list :)

You obviously aren't doing much "research". A quick google of that model reveals that it's probably way too big and way too expensive for you. I didn't even know what it was but then I googled it and very quickly realized it was a joke and not a serious suggestion.

with that price you should look at tormach. It is going to be the only one that will be half way decent under 10k. I don't think haas, robodrill, or even a brother speedio will fall close to under 10k. They are in a different category altogether.

The Tormach will do what he wants and is probably the best machine for him since it will be new with support and being a project and not a production endeavor he doesn't need speed. Once he gets the programming for a part done and runs one successfully the machine can repeat parts while he does the CAD for the others, eats dinner etc. He'll want more budget though...

If your price range is 10k, then I would suggest looking on Ebay and Craig's List for what machines are available at that price and then make your decision.
Robodrills and Brothers have a small footprint but I highly doubt you would want one that is selling for 10k, let alone even find one that is selling for that price.

Eh...I'll answer and explain why the comments.

Your list goes from Harbor Freight knuckle buster crap to Porshe. Sherline to RoboDrill...that is quite a range.

Anyhoo- lets get past that.

If you go the route of Sherline and Shop Bot...I am sure you can make your parts with some finagling...maybe alot. But you will be fighting the machine during the process in achieving desirable results.

Haas is quite a few steps up...the mini-mill would fit...but small work envelope...although you did not offer work size. Problem is...if you find one under 10K...I'd be leery as those machines go for a good deal more...even in poor condition.

Next step up is a VF machine in Haas...same story.
There are Toolroom mills, a CNC Kneemill like a Bridgeport, but not what I'd consider a full CNC as your asking...although several steps up from the Sherline stuff. Again its the low end of Haas...still I'd expect those to go for more then 10K.

RoboDrill- If you can afford one and it fits your needs, buy it. But in your price range of 10K I do not see that as a possibility as they are in a different league. I'd be real skeptical finding one in the 10K range.

That said...you didn't mention tooling, or 4th axis capability or the rotary table, as your going to need to produce your helical gear. Tool holders, tools, vises, clamps, indicators, air compressor...have 3 phase power? If not, you may need to get a phase converter.

Bulletproof- thats like a crash proof car. The bigger more robust they are...the more power they can crash with.

To end this reply...aside from machine budget, figure what tooling and support equipment must be purchased to make parts...could easily go over the cost of your machine. Auctions are great...if you know what your looking at....and even then its is buyer beware. A motor or board on a CNC can put you back several grand not including somebody to diagnose and install.

But ya gotta start someplace. So ask away...

The Tormach will do what he wants and is probably the best machine for him since it will be new with support and being a project and not a production endeavor he doesn't need speed. Once he gets the programming for a part done and runs one successfully the machine can repeat parts while he does the CAD for the others, eats dinner etc. He'll want more budget though...

Thanks for that, sounds like this Tormach is a good starting point!

Back