What's new
What's new

CNC Wood Lathe Project

sokulmuscep

Plastic
Hello everyone,

I plan to build a lathe for wood. I must say that I am almost totally new to CNC arena and the whole engineering in fact. I am a Political Science graduate, that's why; but I believe I can realize my plan with some help.

Though I have not finished it I want to show you the unfinished draw for the machine. I wonder what you think about the rails being vertical instead of horizontal; because when I observe existing lathes almost all of them make the two rails through which the saddle for the lathe tool and the tailstock move. So, I wonder if you think this is a good or bad idea. The reason why they might be vertical is that it would throw the dust away instead of making a pile on the machine. What do you think?

The whole lenght of it is 210 cm, the rails are 180 cm, the width is 60 cm and the height is 130 cm.

Attached is its unfinished drawing.
montaj.JPG

You are not going to get a lot of people on this forum willing to hold your hand through this design process- this is a professional oriented forum and hobby/DIY stuff is not really allowed (the "c n c z o n e dot com" forum is a better place for that kind of thing).

I'm not sure I understand how your design is supposed to function. I think you should look on youtube and review a few videos of industrial quality machines to see the basic construction of a typical 2-axis CNC lathe. I really don't see how you intend your machine to work with that single set of rails. For example, check out this video of a basic mazak 2-axis CNC lathe. How is your machine going to do those movements? Mazak Quick Turn QT-6T Used CNC Lathe - YouTube That machine doesn't have a tailstock, but the basic configuration of the axes is the same as many with tailstocks- for example on my very similar QT-8 the tailstock does not share rails/ways with any of the servo-driven axes.

You are not going to get a lot of people on this forum willing to hold your hand through this design process- this is a professional oriented forum and hobby/DIY stuff is not really allowed (the "c n c z o n e dot com" forum is a better place for that kind of thing).

I'm not sure I understand how your design is supposed to function. I think you should look on youtube and review a few videos of industrial quality machines to see the basic construction of a typical 2-axis CNC lathe. I really don't see how you intend your machine to work with that single set of rails. For example, check out this video of a basic mazak 2-axis CNC lathe. How is your machine going to do those movements? Mazak Quick Turn QT-6T Used CNC Lathe - YouTube That machine doesn't have a tailstock, but the basic configuration of the axes is the same as many with tailstocks- for example on my very similar QT-8 the tailstock does not share rails/ways with any of the servo-driven axes.
I'm actually trying to draw this one: CNC KTM 11 serisi kar teknik makine tel 7523791 - YouTube

Though I am going to change a few things for the final design, does it make sense to you the machine? I mean do you think it might be durable?

And thanks for the suggestion about the forums, I didn't know that difference between these forums.

Back