What's new
What's new

Com setup with 3 CNC machines and 1 CAM Seat

Bocuts

Plastic
I was wondering what ideas and things people here do when using three CNC machines and only having 1 Programming seat in a job shop scenario? I'm the onle one who uses the Gibbs CAM software and runs the CNC machines. We have HAAS, a VF-4 TL-2 and now a VF-2 aswell. With two i has a computer setup near each machine. and would just close out Gibbs and open it on the other machine. Now having three and trying to keep them all running wit this type of system is getting tougher.
I was thinking i could possible try running three monitors off a single computer and carry like a wireless mouse and keyboard from station to station. Just wondering i guess other ideas you might have or ways you set up your stations.

We have 3 machining centers, 2 turning centers, and 2 wire EDM's. 4 workstarions running mastercam and 2 workstations running Autocad Mechanical and Inventor all networked to a server. The chip making machines are all wired to one workstation running a DNC system (Cimco) that distributes the G code through a multi port device (rocket port) all controlled by software (no switch boxs). We can drip feed to one machine at the same time we send or recieve from other machines. It's totally flexible and ultra reliable. It also eliminates trying to buy extra storage for long programs at the machine tool. Get out your checkbook. It sure makes things nice and efficient once it's all in place and working.

If you're not doing DNC and you have Haas's, then you have a foolproof shoe-string budget solution.
Just get an A-B-C switchbox at any of your local computer or electronics store and use TeraTerm to send and receive from a single computer.
The box maybe $40, Teraterm is $0 = $40 total.
TT allows the useage of command line switches when run, so you can set up separate directories for each machine like this:

D:\TTERMPRO\ttermpro.exe /F=VF4.ini
D:\TTERMPRO\ttermpro.exe /F=TL2.ini
D:\TTERMPRO\ttermpro.exe /F=VF2.ini

The ini files contain the working directory, baudrate and all other defaults unique to the machine, just make a shortcut, click it and off you send/receive.
You could set up an init string by wich you can use an automatic switch as RJT suggested. It would run when the program is started and would put the A-B-C switch to the intended machine, otherwise just use the plain vanilla manual switching.

I was wondering what ideas and things people here do when using three CNC machines and only having 1 Programming seat in a job shop scenario? I'm the onle one who uses the Gibbs CAM software and runs the CNC machines. We have HAAS, a VF-4 TL-2 and now a VF-2 aswell. With two i has a computer setup near each machine. and would just close out Gibbs and open it on the other machine. Now having three and trying to keep them all running wit this type of system is getting tougher.
I was thinking i could possible try running three monitors off a single computer and carry like a wireless mouse and keyboard from station to station. Just wondering i guess other ideas you might have or ways you set up your stations.

what i do is buy old computers for about $100 bucks, set them at the mahines, network them and then DCN from them. all you have to use is HyperTerimal that comes with windows or a DNC shareware. that way if your one computer takes a dump while your programing, your machines will keep running. you don't need fancy CPU's hell a old Pentium will do the trick.

Thanks guys I think i like the Idea of Using the Junction boxes in use with different directories with my comunication setup. I know i could use Floppys from where i am now and bring them to the machine as i need them. But that gets old. Is it possible to do the junction box idea in a sence where it both sets up my communications as i need and can also activate one of 3 monitors so i can visually see my program on my monitor as i go thru it infront of my machine? I could use a wireless mouse keyboard to alter and check my program infront of the machine that way.
Thanks again for the replys.

For what it is worth I have one computer and one seat of cam in my tiny shop. I use it to program and send to three machines. We bought an inexpensive COM port card off of new egg. It plugs into a PCI slot in the computer mother board and gives you 2 ports to plug your coms cable from the machine. I have another USB adapter for my lathe. I never drip feed with the lathe, or I would probably get another COM card for additional ports. I post code out of edgecam and it brings up the code in the editor window. Set the machine to ready for drip feed and send to machine. I can drip feed any and all machines, and still do whatever I want with the computer. All the settings are set up to send to the right com port for each machine, so I don't have any switch boxes, or any cords to move around. When I file,send,bostomatic the code goes out say COM port 2 where the bostomatic cord is plugged in. The only trouble is I had a problem with a video card driver a while back and the computer would crash more often then it should and it would stop mid program all the machines that were being fed. On surfacing this means I would have to restart a potentially long problem at the last tool change! :angry: But all in all I am pretty pleased with the set-up. Hope this helps.
-Greg

Back