What's new
What's new

Control retrofit

Does anyone make a modern retrofit (control) for an aged Matsuura 500? The iron is in excellent shape and don't want to throw it all away just to get a capable control. The present control is a YASNAC, I believe it has DC motors. I can't hardly use the machine because of the ancient comm stuff. 16k of memory !

TMD

I'd talk to Siemens, then Fanuc (OMi is nice), Fagor, then maybe Delta Tau.

I thought the Siemens 802 looked really nice. Siemens told me that as part of the package you had to have training, which I was told was included. When a line item for the training wasn't explicitly listed on the quote I inquired, being suspicious, and was told that it was $150 per hour for the training at their facility. Keep in mind that they are saying they won't sell you the control without the training. My last communication with them they said they would check into splitting the training cost 50/50. I haven't heard from them in over a week. I've had great sales pitches turn into horrible support after a purchase. But I can't remember when the sales end showed such a lack of interest on a 12K+ purchase.

Fagor wanted me to buy from the local dealer who wasn't interested in selling me a control if he couldn't install it.

I am now checking out the Dynapath 2000. Its 2K less than the Siemens. The graphics seem a little primitive by todays standards. The PLC has no easy to program interface, Dynapath said its actually a boolean format. Dynapath ts a tiny operation which leaves you holding the bag if they disappear. But you do get to talk to someone who actually knows something when you call, I can't say the same for Siemens.

If anyone has an opinion on the Dynapath I'd welcome your input. Ox?

MetalDoctor - Your looking at 10 to 12K for the control alone. At least for a real industrial one. You need to be absolutely certain that the control will work with your servo drives. Some of the CNC control people have not left me very confident that they know what they are talking about. If you can't get a control to work with your servos its going to probably be more money than its worth. CNC control manufacturers seem to be going to proprietary communication protocols between the control and servo drives.

A few years ago I was talking to Siemens as well about a retrofit on a Maho 700 with rotary table, but never got a price for an 802 D or 810. Last year I talked to Heidenhain about a TNC 320. The quote I got was $12000 Canadian, not bad, since it looks like a straight forward install. I was told that I could keep the servos, drives, glass scales and spindle motor. Has anybody installed one of those controls and what is true about the claims?
Rolf B.

If anyone has an opinion on the Dynapath I'd welcome your input. Ox?

Heck - I've been on the edge of my seat waiting to hear your deal with Siemens. :o

Per Dynopath - 10 yrs ago they would have been my #1 choice! I loved werking with their stuff! But I have the same concerns as you aboot not only them being small - but SMALLER than in the past. Dynopath (Bendix) usta be OEM controls for Acroloc, Hurco (who eventually bought them for a few yrs), Excello, It seems I have seen them on LeBlonds, and were a popular control used on many Knee mill conversions. But now? They have their own line of imported iron that they put their own control on - and that's it. It's pretty scary... They seem to be on their way down - rather than up...

I am still waiting on my quote from MAG. I talked to him a week or so ago. I expect it soon... I have no idea what to expect, but they are likely quoting me a turn key. ???

I was hoping that you would have your project done before I start mine - so git to it eh? :toetap:

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

A few years ago I was talking to Siemens as well about a retrofit on a Maho 700 with rotary table, but never got a price for an 802 D or 810. Last year I talked to Heidenhain about a TNC 320. The quote I got was $12000 Canadian, not bad, since it looks like a straight forward install. I was told that I could keep the servos, drives, glass scales and spindle motor. Has anybody installed one of those controls and what is true about the claims?
Rolf B.

Rolf,
The Heidenhain retrofit should be straight forward. Just check that your machine uses +/-10Vdc analog input to the amplifiers and it's better if you scales are 1vp-p otherwise you will need signal converters ~$100usd each. The biggest problem may be the writting of the PLC if you need to do special things otherwise the standard PLC should get you close.

Hi everyone,

The controls that are discussed here, are they suitable for retrofit in machines with AC servos as well?

I have a VMC, a Feeler FV-800 from 1996 with the Mitsubishi Meldas 520AMR ciontrol and have just finished fixing it up, mostly maintenance and cosmetic.
The control seems to be in good shape with only 4 200 "Power On" hours and under 2 000 Spindle hours.

But anyway, the extremely high costs for replacing fried drivers, CPU boards and the repair of any other future electronic disasters, obviously make me worried a bit. :eek:

Is it possible to install a retrofit system that would work with my AC servos + drivers and my original spindle + driver & power supply? And then after having done that retrofit, if the drivers and/or power suppliy goes south, what do I then replace them with?

Anyone that has done this before? :)

Back