What's new
What's new

-.1 not -1. !#$@&%

Toolroomguy

Cast Iron
Oh, I can save some time, no need to have Z start at zero, I am just cutting air till -.1, edit, punch buttons, cycle start....

Sickening crunching sound as the carbide cutter shatters, sparks shooting off of the toolholder as it feeds into workpiece,jaw dropping as my hand slams the awshit button.
I was doing some of the final machining on a one of a kind, fitted, polished slide for a Para ordinace double stack stanless steel .45.:willy_nilly::angry:

Oh, I can save some time, no need to have Z start at zero, I am just cutting air till -.1, edit, punch buttons, cycle start....

Sickening crunching sound as the carbide cutter shatters, sparks shooting off of the toolholder as it feeds into workpiece,jaw dropping as my hand slams the awshit button.
I was doing some of the final machining on a one of a kind, fitted, polished slide for a Para ordinace double stack stanless steel .45.:willy_nilly::angry:

That's a freaking heart breaker.

Hope the rest of the day is easier....Man oh man.

How about some pictures of the carnage?

:D

ouch, doesn't make for a good start to the weekend. I'm sure if I get a cnc that's a mistake I'll make too often, and sure scares me from it so far, I often read numbers wrong.

008.jpg

Top slot was CNC cut, bottom one was roughed out by hand.

I have a part that I goofed on just like that. It now sits next the mill that it happened on so everyday i start it up i see it and say to myself "not today".....

Probably took longer to edit that it would just to run as is too!!! I seldom edit to save time unless it's for a long run, never for a one off part. As you found out it cost a lot of time and money to save 5 sec.

If it's any consolation, we just scrapped a part about the same size for a mold base. Zeroed it in with the edge finder, offset .100 the WRONG way, pushed the green button. Damn.

Do you guys not have a "distance to go" screen? ;)

Just being a bit of a jerk, sorry. I think we've all been there, no matter how long we've been in the sport.

The worst is when you get on one of your operators for crashing a machine, then go and do the same thing a day later. :(

Many people have learnt it the hard way, including me. The accident was caused by incorrect offset setting.
Now, after doing offset setting, I call the offset and bring the tool to a known position, and check if the coordinate display is correct.

I know what you mean. I was doing a spiral flute job on a Volquartzen stainless 22 mag barrel with a match chamber in it. Went through the program once, with tool offset up to where it only cut .025 deep, to see how the numbers would work out. Looked fine, so I was gonna take another .025, sneak down into it to prevent chatter as some of them have done to me in the past. Missed the decimal. Took it down.25. Just a bit deep there. Didn't break anything but sure screwed that barrel up, not to mention my self esteem.

Probably not what you want to hear right now, but here's my tips for avoiding CNC crashes.

1) Never use MDI commands to move the table or spindle, only use the jogging controls or MPG's for that. A while back there was a thread on really bad CNC crashes, and 90% were from bad MDI commands.

2) (Mentioned already but here it is again) Always single step through any manually written code on first run, with your brain engaged.

3) If possible, always setup your workpiece so Z0.0 is above the top of your vise jaws, ie don't sink the raw workpiece top lower than the vise jaw top. This minimizes accidental jogs through the vise jaws.

Paul T.
Power Technology

Come on guys, lighten up with the correct procedure stuff.

We've all been positive it's set right, hit the green button, then watched as the end mill rapidly dissapears into the part. Followed by part of the tool holder.

Toolroomguy, I feel for ya!

Back