What's new
What's new

Converting mini mill to CNC questions.

Bclark215

Plastic
Howdy, I am currently a manufacturing engineering student, and i'm extremely interested in all things machining, but especially cnc milling. I will be taking several machining and cmc design classes in the coming semester, however I would love to have a small cnc mill of my own to 1. learn on my own and get a head start on my classes, and 2. be able to complete personal projects and maybe even make a little money on the side to help pay for new tooling and supplies. I have been looking into converting a Harbor Freight mini mill to cnc using one of the cnc fusion kits, but aside from a few postings on other forums I can't find a whole lot of information. I was wondering if anyone knew of a site that had more info, or just had some advice to give. I have been welding and metalworking my whole life, but am new to the machining/milling world. One of my main questions is what kind of performance I could expect from a converted mini mill of this kind? I would like to be able to machine small engineering parts from aluminum, bronze, copper, and even carbon and stainless steel if these are all within the capability of the machine. As a student, my budget is very low and would like to keep it as cheap as possible, and was therefore wondering if anyone knew of a place where I might could find drawings or dimensions of the motor mounts and other hardware that is necessary to perform a conversion. I have access to/know people who have access to the schools machine shop, and could possibly have some of these parts made for me to cut down on the price of the conversion kit. My last question is I know I will need some sort of arduino/motor controller, however electronics is not my strong suit. can anyone tell me what I might be looking at when it comes to the actual software? I would like to use fusion 360 to create actual cmc tool paths, and feel comfortable doing so.
I apologize for the long first post. I am sure it is also extremely evident that I really don't know a whole lot on the subject, but that is why I am here, i'm trying to learn, and eventually acquire a new skill set, so if anyone has any advice or info it will all be greatly apreciated. Thanks!

Howdy, I am currently a manufacturing engineering student, and i'm extremely interested in all things machining, but especially cnc milling. I will be taking several machining and cmc design classes in the coming semester, however I would love to have a small cnc mill of my own to 1. learn on my own and get a head start on my classes, and 2. be able to complete personal projects and maybe even make a little money on the side to help pay for new tooling and supplies. I have been looking into converting a Harbor Freight mini mill to cnc using one of the cnc fusion kits, but aside from a few postings on other forums I can't find a whole lot of information. I was wondering if anyone knew of a site that had more info, or just had some advice to give. I have been welding and metalworking my whole life, but am new to the machining/milling world. One of my main questions is what kind of performance I could expect from a converted mini mill of this kind? I would like to be able to machine small engineering parts from aluminum, bronze, copper, and even carbon and stainless steel if these are all within the capability of the machine. As a student, my budget is very low and would like to keep it as cheap as possible, and was therefore wondering if anyone knew of a place where I might could find drawings or dimensions of the motor mounts and other hardware that is necessary to perform a conversion. I have access to/know people who have access to the schools machine shop, and could possibly have some of these parts made for me to cut down on the price of the conversion kit. My last question is I know I will need some sort of arduino/motor controller, however electronics is not my strong suit. can anyone tell me what I might be looking at when it comes to the actual software? I would like to use fusion 360 to create actual cmc tool paths, and feel comfortable doing so.
I apologize for the long first post. I am sure it is also extremely evident that I really don't know a whole lot on the subject, but that is why I am here, i'm trying to learn, and eventually acquire a new skill set, so if anyone has any advice or info it will all be greatly apreciated. Thanks!

Plenty of other sites cover that sort of thing.

PM actually bans their very discussion, so this thread will be locked as soon as the content is noticed by Moderator or Admin folks.

That isn't "elitist". Just that the items in question are disposable/consumable "kleenex" for hobbyists to buy, then lose interest in, then discard. "Toys of the moment", IOW

They are in no way even close to industrial grade or "durable goods" even for the desperate.

We don't spend a lot of time debating the merits or lack thereof of Bic lighters, 7-Eleven "Big bites", chewing gum, shower shoes, nor condoms, either, though all are useful enough in their own time and place.

If it is the "CNC part" you seek to learn? A desktop CNC ROUTER is a far more honest imitation of an industrial one than a mini-mill is an imitation of a mill. Also less back strain when time cometh to haul it to the kerb for trash pickup day.

At least you could engrave nameplates for a few beans?

For what I have to pay? Mud-boot landscaping will put far more money into your pocket, you will meet some very good people, and Spanish is a very useful language to learn.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/machinery-discussion-guidelines-137724/

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but discussion of these types of home shop machines isn't allowed on this forum. Someone here may give you some advice but this thread will likely be locked soon. No disrespect to you, but it's one of the ways that the moderators here keep the discussion centered on professional-grade machines. The "C N C zone" site has discussions about these kind of conversions, you might try there.

edit: thermite beat me to it...

Just to give you a heads up on what you are tackling, mills with dovetail ways will need a lot of power just to move the slides which probably means servos, not steppers, and servos will need encoders. The head will have to be counterbalanced. Do a search on DIY CNC.

My apologies, should have read a little more before jumping to post. Ill definitely try the other forum. Thanks anyways

Do they not teach about paragraphs in school now???

Surely they do! Theory, anyway.

But have you ever had to try to slice a solid block of pre-hard text into smaller and neater sections .. when your tool of choice was a Milling Machine Shaped Object out of Whore'er Fright, the MMSO will fit onto the Kitchen table, but the text block won't fit onto the MMSO's table?

Everything moves in several wrong directions all at once, tools squeal, burn, then break, and the block of text dasn't even have so much as a single cutting-tool mark ON it!

Tough job, but somebody has to avoid it!

:)

Over the years...When my superior told me to "Go out and FIX that problem"

The first thing I did was not to ask on a forum page.....

Carefull observation, along with accurate note taking, and then some analysis
proved VERY valuable to me.

Over the years.....When one of my superiors told me "Fix that problem"

The first thing I did was NOT to consult a forum page....

What I did find was that careful observation, good note taking, and then some
good analysis worked well.

Its a different generation, plus he is young. Justblike us a long time ago.

As for paragraphs.... k-12 worries about standardized testing, exclusively. And no grade is lower then a 60. This way a student can make a very little effort and pull upto a C.

So what they did was dump the writing skills onto the colleges. We are required to make the students write and correct it. So as a tradesman teaching trade classes i am given 2 hours of training and am expected to equal an english teacher.

I asked if they would like to take a random intelectual with 2 hours shop training and turn them loose on the 100 ton brake press.

Over the years.....When one of my superiors told me "Fix that problem"

The first thing I did was NOT to consult a forum page....

What I did find was that careful observation, good note taking, and then some
good analysis worked well.

One of the most enduring and instructive exercises in management training was "the school olution", The Engineer Center and School, Ft.Belvoir.

It involved taking command of a Company. It was intensely FUBAR, and the test had a list a yard long detailing every flavour and sub-flavour of FUBAR. At first glance, it looked as if it would take two whole days to map out a plan for corrective action.

Instructor short circuited that.

"Gentlemen? The School solution requires but a FIVE WORD plan!"

School solution? Five words? That was Corps of Engineer's standard issue, then,
No need to over-think it when it was THAT FUBAR'ed

"Kick ass and take names!"

Now.. having kicked a stagnant manure pile into dynamic motion in all directions, is when you make the observations and take those notes.

To see what you actually have as assets, liabilities, and mere "passengers" so as to reshape for success.

Those five words only start the journey.

Oh.. and make it "crystal" clear just whom will be directing its course.

Just to give you a heads up on what you are tackling, mills with dovetail ways will need a lot of power just to move the slides which probably means servos, not steppers, and servos will need encoders. The head will have to be counterbalanced. Do a search on DIY CNC.

Or you can slap some Clearpaths on it and call it done. EZPZ, just takes a little money. Head counterbalance will help performance though.

Do they not teach about paragraphs in school now???

Anyone know of a good English grammar forum that I can blindly post on asking about the correct usage of paragraphs???:scratchchin:

All joking aside I do not dispute the value of good personal research, and admittedly was taking the easy way out and looking for all of the answers in one place by posting here. I got excited with the prospect of a new hobby and jumped to the quickest way to acquire info that I know of (asking the experienced.) Either way, I appreciate the advice that was given and once again apologize for my impatience and ignorance.

Its a different generation, plus he is young. Justblike us a long time ago.

As for paragraphs.... k-12 worries about standardized testing, exclusively. And no grade is lower then a 60. This way a student can make a very little effort and pull upto a C.
Roll back the clock for a night-and-day contrast, then.

My own HS. Class of '63. Our Junior year HS English course was Penn State's freshman English course. Verbatim, with extra reading and essays.

Our Senior year HS English course was WVU's TOUGHER Freshman English course. Verbatim. With extra reading and essays.

Pass HS English? Assured pass of College freshman English if you didn't get TOO damned drunk or sexed into total exhaustion.

Drugs not yet having been widely adopted? Raging hormones just had to substitute as best they could.

We were so damned naive back then, we never even knew we'd been shortchanged, in that trade-off of great sex and plenty of it ... instead of drugs!

Maybe some day I'll take enough interest to see what it was we missed?

Nah. Not YET!

Still too young to risk messing with that s**t.

Allowing excuses to take precedence over proper behavior
is a clear path towards destruction.

Must keep everyone to the same, high, standards.

Must keep everyone to the same, high, standards.

We are the Borg. Prepare to be recycled into wet fertilizer for basic QC fail.

The reality seems to be we've goaled to bring DOWN standards to "Lowest Common Denominator".
Problem with that? Each successive round always LOWERS it, never raises it.

Gots to encourage a few "superstars" so they can create industries so Joe Average even has a JOB.

Those uber-uber-UBER RICH as "own" nearly all the world's wealth? "Caretakers" rather than "owners', really. Can't take it with them. Even weird religions cannot send it on ahead. Cannot even SIT on it as piles of gold.

It is invested in companies, employing millions. Their very own "replacements" are growing there. The NEXT generation of creators of the next fortune that must also employ others and earn customers in its turn.

They don't want to see harm come to "the common man". Quite the reverse.

That less-affluent pool of milliards of individuals are their CUSTOMERS.
The ones who a few dollars at a time provide ALL that alleged wealth.

The "rich" could not eat it all at once if even they tried to do.

What they spend, and cannot AVOID spending, feeds others. Still-yet "mostly' but the one planet and "mostly" still a closed-system, after all.

I appreciate the advice that was given and once again apologize for my impatience and ignorance.

Don't apologize. We are unharmed.

Waste of the time you need to apply to Just Go Temp-Fix that never-ending shortage of information. Can't ever STOP, and SIT, after all. Ass gets moldy. Chase the NEXT challenge.

C. Alan Peyser had a formula that I saw build fortunes. His own. And those of his team members and proteges:

Try it.
If it doesn't work? FIX it!
But fix it FAST!

Back