What's new
What's new

Coolant Compatible Way Lubes?

Ox

Diamond
After reading and thinking about Mr. King's grief with his coolants, I realized that I never considered whether there are better or worse way lubes for skimming porpoises in coolant.

I would not only be looking for way lube it'self, but also - and quite possibly "especially" a hydraulic oil. Cincinnati likes to pull hydraulic oil right out of the system (of machines equipped with a hydraulic system) to lube their ways. My big Cinci is by far the worst offender. Not sure why?

So I called my preferred coolant manufacturer to see if they offer some lubes as well. They told me that they don't, but the voice there said that one of their field techs had recommended Aevitas Specialty Services out of Detroit.

I googled their name on this site, and came up with zero mentions of it at all.

I called the company and talked to a voice there, he sent me a very basic flyer and a quote on 55 gal drums of each of their Diamond series oils.

aevitas-detroit

I have half a mind to give these a try.

Does anyone have any experience with these at all?

Edit:

The voice at the coolant company mentioned that these products were void of a cpl of products, and I believe at least one of them was a metal (zinc?) and I can't recall the other at all. The voice at the lube company also mentioned this as well, and said that this helps to keep it from sludge-ing up.

------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

After reading and thinking about Mr. King's grief with his coolants, I realized that I never considered whether there are better or worse way lubes for skimming porpoises in coolant.

I would not only be looking for way lube it'self, but also - and quite possibly "especially" a hydraulic oil. Cincinnati likes to pull hydraulic oil right out of the system (of machines equipped with a hydraulic system) to lube their ways. My big Cinci is by far the worst offender. Not sure why?

So I called my preferred coolant manufacturer to see if they offer some lubes as well. They told me that they don't, but the voice there said that one of their field techs had recommended Aevitas Specialty Services out of Detroit.

I googled their name on this site, and came up with zero mentions of it at all.

I called the company and talked to a voice there, he sent me a very basic flyer and a quote on 55 gal drums of each of their Diamond series oils.

aevitas-detroit

I have half a mind to give these a try.

Does anyone have any experience with these at all?

Edit:

The voice at the coolant company mentioned that these products were void of a cpl of products, and I believe at least one of them was a metal (zinc?) and I can't recall the other at all. The voice at the lube company also mentioned this as well, and said that this helps to keep it from sludge-ing up.

------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Interesting. Another thing to think about is whether your coolant is formulated to emulsify the way oil or reject it. One formulator/salesman said coolants formulated to emulsify is the norm. I am pretty sure my full synthetic does emulsify the tramp oil.

.....The voice at the coolant company mentioned that these products were void of a cpl of products, and I believe at least one of them was a metal (zinc?) and I can't recall the other at all. The voice at the lube company also mentioned this as well, and said that this helps to keep it from sludge-ing up.

Zinc is an excellent additive for a lubricant subjected to high pressure loading. I'd be OK with it being missing from an oil used on a box way machine, but for linear ways and ballscrews, I'd want to keep the zinc.

Ox, you might have a look at the Oemeta Hycut products if you haven't already. They all use the same base oil, and there is an ISO68 way oil that is compatible. The way oil that make it into the coolant just emulsifies and becomes part of the mix, and if it gets rich you just lean out the make-up.

The way oil is pricey though, like $160/pail. I believe there is also a lighter weight variant for hydraulics. The website is crappy- there are products that are not listed anywhere but they are all part of the same family.

HYCUT - Oemeta USA

My local rep sampled me 2 pails of coolant concentrate to charge up my new mill. So far so good, but I don't have a lot of experience with it yet. It smells nice though, and it doesn't leave a brown sticky mess on the inside of the machine like a lot of coolants seem to do.

I second Oemeta. It's pricey but works wonders. $175 per pail of coolant, $212 per pail of way oil is what I just paid. Absolutely no tramp oil and no residue. It's a hell of a cleaner too. I've been using it since last summer without any problems. The way oil emulsifying and becoming coolant itself cuts down on coolant usage so it balances out the cost.

Never sacrifice your machine's slideway lubrication to make coolant maintenance slightly easier.

Way oil that emulsifies in coolant sounds great on paper, until you realize that coolant readily washes it away, leaving your slideways dry. This is especially problematic on lathes with exposed X/Y box ways and VMCs with exposed Z-axis ways.

Never sacrifice your machine's slideway lubrication to make coolant maintenance slightly easier.

Way oil that emulsifies in coolant sounds great on paper, until you realize that coolant readily washes it away, leaving your slideways dry. This is especially problematic on lathes with exposed X/Y box ways and VMCs with exposed Z-axis ways.

Glad I'm not the only guy who immediately had wash-off pop in his head when talking of emulsify-able way oil.

Just tossing this out there..

A dozen or so years ago I sat through a presentation by one of the Blaser Guys, and then
talked to him for quite a while afterwards. His name Uli.. Swiss man selling Swiss lube,
he was PASSIONATE about coolant... I learned more than I ever cared to know about coolant
that day... He actually made coolant fun.

So anyways, one thing I remember him talking about was your Way Lube getting beaten into your
coolant.. Coolant is designed to promote metal to metal contact, with only that molecule or
2 thick of high pressure additive in there.... Way Lube is designed to reject metal to metal
contact, to hold its film thickness and keep two things from touching each other...

Just tossing that out there.

I was not thinking along the lines of a lube that would mix into the coolant better, but rather one that may possibly be formulated to skim off easier.

Maybe I used a poor term in the title. When I said "compatible", I didn't mean to mix in, just simply one that was formulated with coolant in mind, rather than an afterthought.

Whatever way lube recipe's they would have used on machine tools during The War would not have this in consideration, and I don't know how much has changed in the basic recipe of this since?

So - NOT having the zinc is a bad thing for the machine?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have some Hangsterfer's hydraulic oil (their "Antiwear" line) and way oil that are both designed to be easily skimmable from water soluble coolant. They are very specific about this in their product datasheets, including that they will not wash off ways easily from coolant spray. I've been using them with the Hangsterfer's S-506CF in my Mazak QT8 and it does appear to separate very cleanly. The lathe is pretty old and tends to drip hydraulic oil into the sump so the coolant compatibility was a selling point to me. I have only been using this setup for a very short time so I don't want to say anything about performance, but it is designed to have the properties you want.

I have some Hangsterfer's hydraulic oil (their "Antiwear" line) and way oil that are both designed to be easily skimmable from water soluble coolant. They are very specific about this in their product datasheets, including that they will not wash off ways easily from coolant spray. I've been using them with the Hangsterfer's S-506CF in my Mazak QT8 and it does appear to separate very cleanly. The lathe is pretty old and tends to drip hydraulic oil into the sump so the coolant compatibility was a selling point to me. I have only been using this setup for a very short time so I don't want to say anything about performance, but it is designed to have the properties you want.

I use Hangy's No.2 way oil too..............rejects quite nicely in the coolant tank......skims right off............I won't touch their coolant again even if they gave it to me. Worked fine cuttin, but turned the machine enclosures into brown dank caves.................................................

I use Hangy's No.2 way oil too..............rejects quite nicely in the coolant tank......skims right off............I won't touch their coolant again even if they gave it to me. Worked fine cuttin, but turned the machine enclosures into brown dank caves.................................................

I read a bunch of similar horror stories, but the stuff they gave me is S-506 which supposedly has some additive that prevents residue. They recommended this based on the hard water we have in AZ. The stories I could find on PM about brown goop seemed to be from people using S-500 so I figure it's worth a shot. I just filled up this lathe with coolant last week so still in the trial period...we will see! If it starts leaving residue I will definitely be finding something else.

Back