What's new
What's new

Coolant in a hsm pocket in 15-5Ph?

TRussell

Aluminum
I need to cut some pockets in 15-5 180-200ksi. I'm using a .500 five flute, MDC coating with a .19 radius tip.

I've watched a few Youtube videos, and it seems like some people use coolant, and some don't. I'm worried about toasting the tool helixing down to the bottom of the pocket. Will coolant be necessary? I've never cut 15-5 dry before, I'm pretty sure I can get away with roughing the outside dry, but I wonder about the pocket.

I need to cut some pockets in 15-5 180-200ksi. I'm using a .500 five flute, MDC coating with a .19 radius tip.
I've watched a few Youtube videos, and it seems like some people use coolant, and some don't. I'm worried about toasting the tool helixing down to the bottom of the pocket. Will coolant be necessary? I've never cut 15-5 dry before, I'm pretty sure I can get away with roughing the outside dry, but I wonder about the pocket.

Might consider per-drilling instead of making the endmill drill the hole. I think helixing into solid is very hard on endmills, and you don't get the HSM benefits in that part of the cut.

Or, helix a good-sized hole with tool #1 with coolant and not-HSM parameters, then switch to tool #2 for the HSM pocket clearing.

Regards.

Mike

Mike, thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to try entering with coolant, then pocketing without. I'm using a VF 2 with a 5 axis trunnion, and the pockets are at A90, and 270 so I'd really like to avoid drilling if possible.

I've never tried running dry before, so I'm happy to hear from people with actual experience. I've seen a few Youtube videos, but they are almost all running open high speed toolpaths, also they all only run for a few minutes. I need to run for about 20 minutes

I've never had any luck running dry. Tried it a few times and melt down.
I've always run with coolant at 8-10% and when tools finally dull, they have tended to go 'slowly'.
Rather than bang...

Also, coolant helps washing the swarf out when you're top down (vmc) machining.
Hori - not so much of a prob as gravity is more on your side.
Sounds a lot like you're talking about standard "old school" techniques. Chip clearing with HSM toolpaths is generally not an issue at all, coolant or not. And even if you are talking about HSM, you should still not be seeing sudden tool failures unless you simply have bad parameters.

I've never tried running dry before, so I'm happy to hear from people with actual experience. I've seen a few Youtube videos, but they are almost all running open high speed toolpaths, also they all only run for a few minutes. I need to run for about 20 minutes
The choice between coolant or no coolant is in coatings and SFM. You mention a coating but it looks to be a proprietary one, and you make no mention of SFM. If you're going to be in the 300-400 SFM range with a relatively large stepover, yes, coolant. 600SFM? No coolant. Between there is up to your testing.

You will be much happier if you pre-drill. In that material, helixing down is going to take a lot longer than pre-drill. Just drill and then HSM pocket at each position. Likely the tool changes will be faster than indexing. Even if they aren't, drill. One of my standard products is 17-4 fairly close to the same hardness. I found that works best. Use a carbide drill, as big as you can get in the pocket. Mari-Tool has carbide drill that work well.

Sounds a lot like you're talking about standard "old school" techniques. Chip clearing with HSM toolpaths is generally not an issue at all, coolant or not. And even if you are talking about HSM, you should still not be seeing sudden tool failures unless you simply have bad parameters.

The choice between coolant or no coolant is in coatings and SFM. You mention a coating but it looks to be a proprietary one, and you make no mention of SFM. If you're going to be in the 300-400 SFM range with a relatively large stepover, yes, coolant. 600SFM? No coolant. Between there is up to your testing.

I'm going to start at 600 sfm .025 stepover and 130 ipm. I'm not going to be able to enter the pocket that fast, and I'm worried that drilling with the A axis at 90, 6 inches off the platter will deflect the trunnion.

I remember 304 running a 12mm dia 5 flute variflute at S3500 F2500 with a 1mm stepover
303 12mm dia 5 flute at S5000 F3000 and a 1.5mm stepover which would run all day and some.
This was both wet.
Dry and nope.

With HSM LOC plays a big part in chip shape - we would run a 12mm @ 18mm deep so we'd get long swarf which in pockets would bind if dry. That's what I was getting at.

As an side, we'd run trocoidal in ally too. 14mm 3flute MAFord knuckle @ S10000 F5000 (upto 7500) with a 30% stepover and 20mm LOC. That would produce a shit ton of swarf but we had strong coolant pumps which would wash it all out. Most of our product was ideal Hori work but...
I've got a couple of cutters, so I think I'm going to try out 600 sfm dry roughing the outside, then ,if that works o.k. I will helix a hole to enter the pocket at much lower sfm with coolant, then back up to 600.

I'll be back to let people know how it worked in a couple of days. I'm still waiting for a cutter.

Back