What's new
What's new

Higbeeing a 8-stub acme thread

danbec

Plastic
The cnc shop i work at has been having a problem with removing the knife thds from a 8-stub acme thd.The customer want the first and last thds. removed.We are running the parts on Fanuc controlled lathes. Removing the first thread is no problem but i have never higbeed , or scarfed the last thd. We use the g92 and g76 threading cycles. Any help would be greatley appreciated.

How are you doing the front side? I'm assuming no live tooling or it would be easy. Do you have plenty of relief on the back side of the thread? why not just do the opposite of what you are doing on the front. backwards tool, spin it backwards, and do a negative to positive thread cycle with a groover

Avsfan135 said it right. If you have plenty of thread relief and live tooling put an end mill on it. If you don't have live tooling then the next best is to use a flat groove tool like a top notch.

OD or ID?
OD, use a Topnotch type of grooving insert for both.

ID, still use a Topnotch for front thread. I have used a Topnotch for the back thread, but not very successfully.

8-stub acme higbeeing first and last threads.

How are you doing the front side? I'm assuming no live tooling or it would be easy. Do you have plenty of relief on the back side of the thread? why not just do the opposite of what you are doing on the front. backwards tool, spin it backwards, and do a negative to positive thread cycle with a groover

The lathes we are using have no live tooling.I am using a flat groove tool .156 wide. Thread relief at back of thread is .187 wide on bottom of thread relief. One of the men at work thinks a person might higbee last thread with same tool as doing the front thread.But i dont see dropping into the od thread and going to the back of thread relief.

Back