What's new
What's new

Creat a Mold from an existing item

gchiham

Plastic
Hi.

I will like to make a mold from the product bellow.
About how much will it cost ?
Size: 11 x 10 x 9 inches
Holds 3 gallons
Weight 400g
Inject molding

cubeta_plantas.jpg
cubeta1.jpg
cubeta2.jpg

Will appreciate some estimates to see if its worth this project.

regards

If this is your design then do you have a model of the part? If it is somebody else design do you have permission to copy it?

I don't think that design has rights if it does i can change from square to circular shape like a water bucket.
But my question is, if I had a design how much will it cost to make a mold ?

regards

Are you wanting a production tool or a prototype tool? Just rough for the production I would figure 200K+

An aluminum tool would be around 30K and the amount of shots will depend on the material.

Aside from any legal matters what really matters is part volume. If you want a million of them the mold cost is maybe $.50 per part. If you want 100 it might be $3000 a part. Of course someone has to foot the upfront cost in either case. So are the machinists here drooling over this job or laughing their ass off at your question?

hank you PM lawyers. How about answer the guys question instead of side bar legal council.

Can you answer that question???

I see you are fairly new here so I will fill you in on some basic information. We ( The PM locals) tend to be watchful of new members asking questions that may lead to copying a part or pirating a software. It is apparent that the OP did not read the forum guidelines as his location is not complete he did not post the RFQ in the right forum. At first glance you can see it is obvious that he is attempting to copy someone else's part that already has a tool made.

I ask in an earlier post what kind of tool he wanted (production or prototype) this would dictate the material (Tool) and cost. Then he would need to specify material type (Part), lead time for the tool to be made, and most of all, a print at least. If all you had was a description of:
Holds 3 gallons
Weight 400g
Inject molding

You would have to figure the wall thickness to get weight. The picture clearly shows the part has holes in it (where and what size). Is three gallons to the overflow level? I could go on and on but it is clear that this is someone popping by PM who is not an engineer wanting to copy someone else work.

Its a friggen sink, not a flux capacitor..:toetap:

And of course he not an engineer..if he was there would have been 10 pages of specs, and the total error would have been in the tenths. :)
After all..its a friggen sink.
Gary

Hi.

Holds 3 gallons
Weight 400g
Inject molding

View attachment 146647
View attachment 146648
View attachment 146649

regards

These guys will quote you a mould:

Dear Manager,

Have a great day.

1.We are mould factory,not trade company.

2.Professor in supply good quality:

Plastic custom industrial parts mould,

Custom household parts mould,

2-Shot moulds.

3.Europe standard mould.

4.Our big advantage is Honest quality mould,honest and fast muld service.

Are there any plastic injection mould request?

Please also copy to our office E-mail:[email protected]

So are the machinists here drooling over this job or laughing their ass off at your question?

LMFAO. The OP has no clue injection molds cost a shitload of money. The parts cost even more because large parts like this need a massive 500+ ton injection press just to run them. Big surface area on mold cavity = large force trying to open up the mold when injecting the plastic so the molding machine needs to have even more clamp force to hold it together.

Hi.

Holds 3 gallons
Weight 400g
Inject molding

View attachment 146647
View attachment 146648
View attachment 146649

regards

Where are you in Honduras? I spent some time in Tegucigalpa, a few years back. What's the exchange on the Lempira these days? It was between 4.5 and 7 or so for a US dollar, when I was there. More at the street money changers.

On topic, though.

I would consider carefully, making this in a fiberglass. If the numbers to make do not justify a injection mold, anyway.

Labor would cost more, raw stock more, molds, much less.

The number that you wish to make would really be key to the value of having a mold made. I suspect that the machine you will be using will also play a part, no?

Cheers
Trev

Might also consider rotomolding, perhaps with some redesign of the part. A mold like that would not have to be machined from a solid chunk, it could be fabricated.

if you're doing a big ol sink, injection molding would NOT be the way to go. i'd look into Rotary Molding. cheaper to make the molds, and it's a really good way to make something that is going to be low production rates (not a fast molding process, but good for big things)

I dont care if its patented or not. Its not my job to do a companies legal work for them. You want a part, bring me a print, i make the tool and cut the parts. Im not selling designs or parts to end users.

And as i said, i can make a tool for this for 40k and garuntee 150k shots on it.

if you're doing a big ol sink, injection molding would NOT be the way to go. i'd look into Rotary Molding. cheaper to make the molds, and it's a really good way to make something that is going to be low production rates (not a fast molding process, but good for big things)

Roto-molding is good for things much larger than this. This part is not that big. I have a brand new 700 ton press just itching to get some plastic down its nozzle and this parts are ideal for it.

Back