What's new
What's new

Curious about tool holder hardness

dodgin

Hot Rolled
I'm going to attempt to modify the threads on the bottom of a brand new tool holder, and although it's easy enough to stick the tools in under the assumption that it's going to be around 50RC, my curiosity is getting the best of me and my forum searches have yielded nil. Seems like the information should be floating around out there though.

It seems like there'd be some variables involved, but is there any sort of industry standard, generally speaking, when it comes to tool holder hardness?

I'm going to attempt to modify the threads on the bottom of a brand new tool holder, and although it's easy enough to stick the tools in under the assumption that it's going to be around 50RC, my curiosity is getting the best of me and my forum searches have yielded nil. Seems like the information should be floating around out there though.

It seems like there'd be some variables involved, but is there any sort of industry standard, generally speaking, when it comes to tool holder hardness?

What kind of tool holders are you asking about? Stick tools for a Lathe? CAT/BT tools for a Mill? Capto? The part where the tool goes into the tool holder? The part where the pull stud goes in? Collet? Collet chuck? Collet nut? What are you asking?

What kind of tool holders are you asking about? Stick tools for a Lathe? CAT/BT tools for a Mill? Capto? The part where the tool goes into the tool holder? The part where the pull stud goes in? Collet? Collet chuck? Collet nut? What are you asking?

I've been staring at the thing so long I thought you'd know.

Mill tool holder - I'm about to go to work on a 50 taper holder. I don't know what this one is right off hand but it strongly resembles an NMTB 50 holder.

The part where the tool goes into the tool holder and the part where the retention knob go in are what's kind of got me curious right now because that's what I'm going after, but the whole thing in general kind of interests me. I tried to pull any information I could out of the rep who gave us the holder, who is normally a really knowledgeable guy, but he didn't have anything for me in this case.

Okay, yes it is Machinable.

Depending on the quality it should (IMO) be pretty hard all over, but not Hardened. The Taper is case hardened so from .075" to .1" deep. The ones I machined were not great quality and I would guess the Taper hardness was less than 62Rc and more than 50Rc. But the rest is not some gummy soft material.

I'm afraid to ask about "modifying the threads", but treat it like something hard and you'll be okay. Carbide will definitely cut it, I was making a few BT holders into CAT holders-----a Carbide part-off tool was having a tough time, but made it through. A Carbide CNMG ate it up.

R

I've been staring at the thing so long I thought you'd know.

Mill tool holder - I'm about to go to work on a 50 taper holder. I don't know what this one is right off hand but it strongly resembles an NMTB 50 holder.

The part where the tool goes into the tool holder and the part where the retention knob go in are what's kind of got me curious right now because that's what I'm going after, but the whole thing in general kind of interests me. I tried to pull any information I could out of the rep who gave us the holder, who is normally a really knowledgeable guy, but he didn't have anything for me in this case.

I tried to turn an old Richmill TG-100 collet body with a 40 taper once... It was hard as a coffin-nail, but that was not the issue.
The problem was the interrupted cut when I had to cross the key-grooves in the tool-changer flange.

My intention was to cut an old holder down to fit the bore on my 4th axis...
Turning that holder down was going to take all day, so I grabbed a straight shank holder in a 4-jaw and dialed it in really close.

I could see where that might turn into a pretty serious headache.

Unfortunately we were only working the inside of ours. Drilled out the threads and thread milled new ones. Little bit of deflection on the thread mill, but overall it cut pretty decent.

Back