Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just get a copy of zero devices software. I am in China now and the company I am working for has 14 copies and they live by the feed and speed it outputs

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    just get a copy of zero devices software. I am in China now and the company I am working for has 14 copies and they live by the feed and speed it outputs
    We're going to have to have a talk about Mr. Zero-Divide subsidizing the chinese... ;/

3. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by zero_divide View Post
    Do you mean to say that D2 at 42rc would still be harder than 4041 at 42rc?
    Other than that i agree with everything you have said.
    In one of his last vids Sol is cutting his jaws and no sparks are seing there.
    Like everyone said too many sparks for 40 -ish RC steel.
    No, I meant that cutting D2 at 62hrc is something hard... That stuff makes grinders even shutter...

5. Likes Mtndew, Mstcnc liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
    We're going to have to have a talk about Mr. Zero-Divide subsidizing the chinese... ;/
    I only sold to China twice.
    Once time was for some educational imstitution. The other time it was a big bunch of licenses to one place.
    So i kind of hope its those guys g-coder is talking about. Otherwise i am getting ripped off.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Zero, I am pretty sure it is the large quantity of seats you sold to that group of guys. That is one place I would not look down upon for being in China. I was extremely impressed and have taken a contract where I will be working there for the next year teaching the two hundred and fifty employees about Western quality procedures. there material quality system would be hard to rival in the United States. Every single piece that comes in has to be analyzed and ultrasonic tested.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not for nothing but selling a calculator program for money when the math can easily be done with an excel spreadsheet using free software like open office calc program is not as helpful as
    1) saying what sfpm, doc, feed, etc to best cut hardened steel
    i have worked over 33 years and worked with hundreds of other machinist and they all got by just fine without having to buy something for feed and speeds and other cutting conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

im impressed with your e-stop resistance on this , I would have had an ugly osha moment and pulled something delicate getting to it fast enough Nice looking mill by the way, that arrangement with a 4th looks the business.

10. Likes vwfullcup liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    i have worked over 33 years and worked with hundreds of other machinist and they all got by just fine without having to buy something for feed and speeds and other cutting conditions.
    What's that Bob Dylan song? "The times they are a changing".

Sure you can do it with a pocket calculator, but why not have a handy program do the math for you? It's so much quicker.
    /shrug

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    not for nothing but selling a calculator program for money when the math can easily be done with an excel spreadsheet using free software like open office calc program is not as helpful as
    1) saying what sfpm, doc, feed, etc to best cut hardened steel
    First off i wrote that his cutting speed was twice above what he should have been using and his chipload was ok for the width of cut he was taking.
    Well, not everybody is as smart as you are.
    I for example am not. I also can not remember speeds and feeds for dosens of materials.
    I also can not effectively guesstimate allowed depth of cut when machining with tools hanging out a mile.
    I started out with excel too. Then i decided to hook up a database so it would look up material speeds and chiploads, then it was only logical to move everything to a standalone program.

I can now save my tools and cutting parameters. Next time i need it i just load the tool, change the material and i am good to go.
    Above everything it is consistent.
    If you are getting consistently low tool life with recommended settings, then you just save 90% override and next time you get proper values.
    I have been a machinist for more than 7 years. And in my time i have seen plenty of people with 20 years behind the belt who have been doing things wrong the whole time. So it is not a very good indicator.

Besides for chepskates i have an online free calculator as well.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default computers

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    What's that Bob Dylan song? "The times they are a changing".

Sure you can do it with a pocket calculator, but why not have a handy program do the math for you? It's so much quicker.
    /shrug
    i got a computer on at the work bench all the time showing setup info, drawings, program viewer, program downloader, and Excel open showing cutting tool calculations. I often type in current cutting conditions to confirm what my eyes and ears see and hear.
    Excel can do any math and take a hundred different factors and recalculate in a milisecond. I have never seen anybody pay for special software to do basic speed and feed calculations and it can easily handle doing vastly more advanced calculations. Even paying for Excel is debatable as the free openoffice software does 99% of the same things.
    i do not believe in wasting money on software that is not needed. Better to read the help section and Excel and using it to do basic formulas. Telling someone that cutting hard steel requires buying software rather that mention the actual cutting cuttings like sfpm and feed that is actually needed to machine hard steel is in my opinion not being helpful.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First off i wrote that his cutting speed was twice above what he should have been using and his chipload was ok for the width of cut he was taking.
    Well, not everybody is as smart as you are.
    I for example am not. I also can not remember speeds and feeds for dosens of materials.
    I also can not effectively guesstimate allowed depth of cut when machining with tools hanging out a mile.
    I started out with excel too. Then i decided to hook up a database so it would look up material speeds and chiploads, then it was only logical to move everything to a standalone program.

I can now save my tools and cutting parameters. Next time i need it i just load the tool, change the material and i am good to go.
    Above everything it is consistent.
    If you are getting consistently low tool life with recommended settings, then you just save 90% override and next time you get proper values.
    I have been a machinist for more than 7 years. And in my time i have seen plenty of people with 20 years behind the belt who have been doing things wrong the whole time. So it is not a very good indicator.

Besides for chepskates i have an online free calculator as well.
    at where i work computers are specifically not connected to the internet as they are a magnet for people to waste their time rather than doing their job. cell phones are banned too as they are waste of time magnets extremely too often.
    ....... microsoft office with excel and access database can easily do calculations and databases. having speeds and feeds on hand is as simple as having a few machine tool catalogs pages available for end mills and carbide inserts. again i see no need to pay for special software.
    ......... it would be more handy to read to manufacturers recommendations on their cutting tools.
    ........ Excel can take into account cutter depth of cut and cutting tool length stick out from holder. there are math formulas for this too that do not require buying software. but any machinist worth anything will know roughly what a cutter can take sticking out various distances out from the tool holder or quickly take a few test cuts and record what works best.
    ......... i stand corrected maybe a pencil and piece of paper is worth paying for to record what works best to record like sfpm, feed , etc when cutting hard steel.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why pay for excel? Why not just do the math longhand?
    Just because you have a way to do something does not mean there may not be a better way

16. Likes metlmunchr liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How much of you emplyers time you spent making up your excel thing?
    I bet alot more than 50$ worth. Which is how much one seat of my program costs.

And if you did it on your free time.... Good on your boss.

18. Likes Mr.M, Mtndew, g-coder05, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How much of you emplyers time you spent making up your excel thing?
    I bet alot more than 50$ worth. Which is how much one seat of my program costs.

And if you did it on your free time.... Good on your boss.

Lol...man don't waste your time. This is the guy who is still programming at the machine control...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave K View Post
    If that end mill still looked sharp after that fireworks display, I'd stick with those mills.
    Ironically, I've been using that same endmill for some .5" deep pockets in 6061-T6 and its still sharp enough to leave a very nice finish on the walls and floors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know if that is your mill, and I do not know anything about 4-axis setups, but I would think I would have a cover over that?

Wish I could post a cut a friend did on a CNC Deckel we have, makes his fireworks look like match sticks. He was plowing through 62-66RC material almost full depth of cut. Right or wrong. . .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

conventional tool paths I would be at 400sfm on 4140

you should look into this HSMAdvisor : Feed And Speed Wizard For Fast Metal Removal

best 49.75 dollars you can spend...and we all know you have 49.75 dollars.
    Last edited by allloutmx; 12-17-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: looks like Eldar dropped his prices!

23. Likes lowCountryCamo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only sold to China twice.
    Once time was for some educational imstitution. The other time it was a big bunch of licenses to one place.
    So i kind of hope its those guys g-coder is talking about. Otherwise i am getting ripped off.
    Sorry about that

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by allloutmx View Post
    you should do something so that....................... xxxxxxx.....

not sure what the tech'y lingo is for that sorta thang
    And you know this piece of information that you have just posted to the whole world ... How?
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    And you know this piece of information that you have just posted to the whole world ... How?
    Bob
    I have no idea what your talking about
    I paid for my seat