What's new
What's new

cutting off some large washers

Amanor

Plastic
So we had a job recently where we need to make some bronze washers. Normally it wouldn't be an issue except of the size of the washers, they wanted a 11 inch OD 5 inch ID and .400 on the length. We had a large issues that when we cut them off in our CNC lathe that there was a lot of chatter and size difference. We were using a basic .161 cut-off tool from iscar I think. I would like to get some opinions on cut-off tools if there are better one and if they are worth the price and what not. Let me know what you guys think.

Without knowing any more then is in the OP I'd say slow it down. 400 sfm at 11 inch diameter is gonna act differently then at 2 inch diameter. Assuming only by the mention of chatter RPM is what's killing you. If the turret is cocked a bit the tool will have a tendency to walk and seem exaggerated because of the diameter. I'd be surprised if the parts were flat.

Brent

Without knowing quantities, machines, or specific material type, I can only throw out some ideas;

1) cut from plate on a cnc mill.
2) If staying with the lathe, make sure the tool is perfectly aligned, and the parting blade is sticking out only the exact amount needed.
3) Use the 3J chip breaker (for softer, non-ferrous metals)
4) Step up up to a 3/16 or 1/4" wide blade.
5) Part them longer, and face the parted surface on a face plate, mandrel
6) Ruff the parting groove to Ø5.5" then advance a back-up plate affixed to the tail stock (if so equipped), finally skim the part off surface with another tool ground for a finish L/H cut.

[shrug]

That's all I can think of at this moment.

Best of luck,

Doug.

Use a neutral rake tool with a very sharp edge. I'd agree with going 1/4" wide, because that groove gets pretty deep for the chips to get out of. I would start at maybe .002" per rev feed and work higher as I'd watch how the chip flow behaved. It is easy to push it harder but aggressive feed may increase the tendency for the tool to wander off square.

Just part it off .030" long and face to length so its flat and beautiful all around.
Sounds like you're attempting to part to length, have it hold size, and not look like sh*t, it ain't happening.

Back