What's new
What's new

Cutting Oil in CNC?

Fuzzbean

Cast Iron
Does anybody use cutting oil in modern CNC machining centers, aside from some special production operation or something? We'd always used water-based coolants where I worked in the States, but here we got cutting oil thinned with kerosene. My gosh, the way we ran our machines in America, kerosene would have caught fire in the first five minutes, and probably blown the doors off the machine in the process.

Not to mention breathing the mist...

Everything over here seems to be in slow motion -- no need to worry about Japanese competition if this was typical.

I usesd to use Clairsol 310 which was like a light oil spray mist type of coolant. However, at my new place we didn't want to fork out for the big drums of it (only comes in like huge cans) so we swapped to WD40 which does the job nicely
we can get it in 5 gallon drums. But then again, I'm only machining optical plastics with

FUZZBEAN, i have seen cutting oil used in a CNC machine. it was a small Citizen swiss turn. it suffered no ill effects, but we had to put an evacuator on it to pull the smoke out and thru a filter and out the roof of the building. if this wasn't on it would smoke up a 50,000 sq.ft. shop in a real big hurry.

My old Hardinge Automatic chucker used cutting oil
Never seen it used on a mill though. I think that would turn to a fog in a hurry
Jim

We ran it in a Hitachi Seike HMC, cat 40 machine, if you turned it on flood while milling it would FILL a 25,000 sq. ft building with white smoke, quite fun really.

With a 1.5" roughly dia inset drill you would get a nice blaze going on the pallet too :), it would go out when the chips cooled in 30 seconds or so.

They put the sulfer oil in the machine to make a oil hole drill work better, in the end we went to a soluble oil coolant, and it worked just as good, lot less messy.

Bill

I used to work for a press tool company a long time ago, and used cutting oil in one of the CNC mills with no problems.
It was an old series 2 BP interact with a 151 control, that mill was the one that machined all the tool steel dies so the oil was needed.

Boris

how it got in there was a complete mystery until someone remembered that a new barrel of oil was delivered on the same day the machine was commissioned and there was a certain crazy CNC setter there too

Back