What's new
What's new

Deckel FP3NC help needed

Atomwerk

Plastic
Hey guys,

My name is Charles and I am new to this forum. I love this website and all of the technical help that you guys answer, so thank you in advance!

Ok my project is a 1985 Deckel FP3NC with a Dialog 3 control. So far I am very impressed with this machine, if not only for the manual machining value that it has. I managed to fit a 5 jaw chuck to it, which we use for drilling and small lathe type operations, and I am excited to see its full potential. Of course we will also use it for milling. SAM_0141.jpg

To power it up I used a 20 hp rotory phase converter from Americal Rotory with circutry that stabilizes power spikes. So far I am very pleased with it.SAM_0142.jpg

The problem that I am having is that I don't have an operators manual and I cannot find the right one anywhere. I cannot get the CNC function to work and I am sure that I just don't know what sequence of buttons to push. I have the function switch turned to position 11 and have entered a simple g code program to test it but I do not know how to ititiate the program. There appears to be no % keys either. Also it won't let me enter in a spindle speed. What am I doing wrong???

SAM_0139.jpgSAM_0140.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_0142.jpg
    SAM_0142.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 440
Thank you. I have tried that website and can't seem to be able to download anything or find the writer's contact info to be able to ask him to send me manuals.

I sent you a PM, just not sure if you got it. I feel very fortunate to have this machine. All mechanical functions seem to be working great, however there are several control buttons that I can't seem to activate. I would be interested in aquiring more Deckels and Deckel parts. Also I was wondering how hard it would be to fit it with new control systems that wire straight into the motors and safety functions.

Hi Atomwerk
Welcome to PM. I have the same mill FP3NC with Dialog 3 so I should be able to help you get it going. I didn't have a manual for mine or flip cards when I first got it. Please look through old posts in this forum they should help you answer most of your questions.
If by %key you mean % rotary switch / knob then you do have a problem. This will need to be fixed but you don't have a photo to show us.
Spindle speeds in CNC need to start with a + or - for rotation (this was just covered in another recent thread).
Do you have the flip cards on the control? They should help you even without the manual.
Have you replaced or checked your batteries if not that would be a good place to start before trying to get it to work? There are three that need to be replaced. This has also been covered in a recent thread and lots of old ones. Oil and lubrication should be addressed before running the machine ( also covered in lots of old threads.

CNC programing I'll try and walk you trough a simple program and maybe post a video to help later today.
Andy

Atomwerk
I just noticed that this thread was posted in the wrong forum (CNC) at least as far as I'm concerned. You might want to repost in the Deckel forum of PM or ask to have it moved.
Andy

I emailed Atom some Dialog 4 programming manual pieces in PDF this AM.

Atom,
I suggest you buy Wrench's DVD (search it). I think Alan "Wrench" put those manual pieces, and of course lots of other documentation relevant to FPxNCs on the DVD.
RKlopp

If by %key you mean % rotary switch / knob then you do have a problem. This will need to be fixed but you don't have a photo to show us.
No I have that and it works fine. I was referring to modern G Code where they will input % to start a program, but I now realize that this in not pertinent to Deckel.
Spindle speeds in CNC need to start with a + or - for rotation (this was just covered in another recent thread).
Great!! That worked, thank you.
Do you have the flip cards on the control? They should help you even without the manual.
I have the flip cards but I was not able to see how to initiate a program.
Have you replaced or checked your batteries if not that would be a good place to start before trying to get it to work? There are three that need to be replaced. This has also been covered in a recent thread and lots of old ones. Oil and lubrication should be addressed before running the machine ( also covered in lots of old threads..
Batteries? I would have never guessed that . Please tell me where to find them. Also the idiot light never seem to come on so I was thinking about replacing their bulbs.
CNC programing I'll try and walk you trough a simple program and maybe post a video to help later today.
That would be super and MUCH appreciated!
Charles.

I emailed Atom some Dialog 4 programming manual pieces in PDF this AM.

Atom,
I suggest you buy Wrench's DVD (search it). I think Alan "Wrench" put those manual pieces, and of course lots of other documentation relevant to FPxNCs on the DVD.
RKlopp

Thank you for the email. I printed it and am studying it. Also I will find that dvd. Thank you for the referral.

I have a few more questions and concerns for my machine:

So after I paid for this machine and went to pick it up I was disappointed to find the machine tipped over to its front side. Why they let a bunch of high school kids use a forklift to move my machine I will never know! The milling area containing box was bent, and the machine was resting on the vertical spindle. The plastic housing was busted, and I just found out that the spindle is slightly bent. Does anybody know where I buy old Deckel parts or where I can send it in to be fixed?SAM_0038.jpg

Also, in my quest to find batteries I found this switch all taped up inside. Does anybody have any idea what it is?SAM_0036.jpg

Any help pointing me to where I can find the other batteries will be much appreciated.

Finally, when jogging the x axis rapidly the machine will make a horrible chattering noise. Any idea of how to remedy this?SAM_0037.jpg

I was wanting to do a complete fluids flush since the manual says that brands of oil should not be mixed and I have no idea what they previously used. What is the best way to do this?

Finally, the coolant tank did not come with the machine. I am preparing to build one unless someone knows of where I can purchase a used one.

Atomwerk
I just noticed that this thread was posted in the wrong forum (CNC) at least as far as I'm concerned. You might want to repost in the Deckel forum of PM or ask to have it moved.
Andy

Who do I contact to have this thread moved to the right spot?

Who do I contact to have this thread moved to the right spot?

So let’s start here, at the top of the home page on Practical Machinist click on Forums. Scroll down to theDeckel, Maho, Aciera, Abene mills forum. This is where you will find most if not all the answers to your questions about the Deckel and where you should post questions. There are lots of great people there that will help you with your problems. Most if not all of them know more about these mills than me. Please look back through the threads to find what you need and or use the search feature on PM (also at the top of the page). As I wrote there was a recent thread on the batteries. Here is the link.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ene-mills/dialog-2-differences-manual-303242/

As for moving your thread you want to contact either the moderator of the CNC forum willeo6709 or the owner, leader of PM and Deckel moderator milacron. Links below

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/members/willeo6709/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/members/milacron/

Andy

looking at the "switch" in the photo it looks like a pot. if so maybe for the CRT to dim it. there is a pot. on the bottom of the control for this and I see it in your photo from the top side. Maybe they wanted to move it to the top? where do the leads go?

I have a few more questions and concerns for my machine:

So after I paid for this machine and went to pick it up I was disappointed to find the machine tipped over to its front side. Why they let a bunch of high school kids use a forklift to move my machine I will never know! The milling area containing box was bent, and the machine was resting on the vertical spindle. The plastic housing was busted, and I just found out that the spindle is slightly bent. Does anybody know where I buy old Deckel parts or where I can send it in to be fixed?View attachment 141377

Also, in my quest to find batteries I found this switch all taped up inside. Does anybody have any idea what it is?View attachment 141378

Any help pointing me to where I can find the other batteries will be much appreciated.

Finally, when jogging the x axis rapidly the machine will make a horrible chattering noise. Any idea of how to remedy this?View attachment 141379

I was wanting to do a complete fluids flush since the manual says that brands of oil should not be mixed and I have no idea what they previously used. What is the best way to do this?

Finally, the coolant tank did not come with the machine. I am preparing to build one unless someone knows of where I can purchase a used one.

Do you have the coolant pump?

I have a tank, the coolant pump I may keep as a spare for my machine.

Kevin

Do you have the coolant pump?

I have a tank, the coolant pump I may keep as a spare for my machine.

Kevin

Hi Kevin
Good to see you posting. I was kind of waiting to see you back on here before contacting you about the FP3NC enclosure. Do you still have it? I want it just need to work out a cheap way to get it here. Let me know
Thanks
Andy

Back