What's new
What's new

Deep cavity/pocket milling in Aluminum - Tooling suggestions

shocwav3

Plastic
As the title states. I do a ton of deep pocket milling in aluminum (usually 5-6" deep) Most of the parts I can add a generous rad on the floor or in the case of 3d surfaces I can usually add a degree of draft to aid in getting down into the cavity.

I am using solid carbide now, primarily Swiftcarb .750 ramp mill, necked with 6" of reach.
But I would really like to move to a modular screw on type with different heads. My thought process is to be more versatile with less tooling. So use a roughing geometry then maybe a copy/button style for 3d profiling, also different gauge length holders so I can shorten up when I don't need all the reach.

The thing I seem to be running into is, all the modular head lines I find seem to be geared towards tougher materials. Do they even make inserts for aluminum?

Dapra has a line of inserted ball mills that accept backdraft, flat, ball and high feed that could also serve the purpose, but the inserts again seem to be gear toward milling or exotics and hard material.

Anyone know of an indexable or modular head line of tooling that would serve my needs?

Thanks in advance

Anyone know of an indexable or modular head line of tooling that would serve my needs?

Thanks in advance

I know Sandvik has a modular line not sure on the reach as I don't use them.
Are you limited to a 3/4 cutter? They have some nice indexables, the one I have is 1-1/4 dia and has the reach you need.

Take a look at some of the ripper mills (you tube videos) they really work nice and we use them anytime we can in 6061. If you can use a 1.5" cutter they have 3 flutes and run pretty quiet except for the chips hitting the encloser otherwise a 1" 2 flute will get it done. We have several sizes from 1" to 3" and love every one of them.

There is a PM member Curtis and his handle is Ezemma?sp. Who sells them and wonderful to deal with, excellent pricing PM me if you want his number.

I have used them, and liked them very much. I settled on shear hogs for my roughing over the rippers in the end.
I have thought about reaching out to AB tools and having a custom long shank shear hog made since I have the inserts, but it does not entirely address the dual use intention.

Adding that degree or two draft on the rough wall is the way I usually try to tackle deep pockets too. I've used the shear hogs hanging out ~4" and they did fairly well. Drilling the corners will let you go somewhat faster..

Adding that degree or two draft on the rough wall is the way I usually try to tackle deep pockets too. I've used the shear hogs hanging out ~4" and they did fairly well. Drilling the corners will let you go somewhat faster..

My 1.25 is hanging out just shy of 5" haha, its sketchy though. I take 1.0 rad cuts with .050 depth at 500ipm and it stays happy there.

Sandvik 790 on a capto shank. 7 inch straight reach, cutter is insane. Stupid amount of money but they are flat badass.

This is a perfect application for Dijet <--- click. They have about 20 different head types including high feed, "ripper" mills, button, ball nose (with aluminum geometry) & bull nose with a ton of different rads. They are niche company specializing in Ball nose, high feed & long reach tooling so they are very affordable.

Pm me with any questions.

As the title states. I do a ton of deep pocket milling in aluminum (usually 5-6" deep) Most of the parts I can add a generous rad on the floor or in the case of 3d surfaces I can usually add a degree of draft to aid in getting down into the cavity.

I am using solid carbide now, primarily Swiftcarb .750 ramp mill, necked with 6" of reach.
But I would really like to move to a modular screw on type with different heads. My thought process is to be more versatile with less tooling. So use a roughing geometry then maybe a copy/button style for 3d profiling, also different gauge length holders so I can shorten up when I don't need all the reach.

The thing I seem to be running into is, all the modular head lines I find seem to be geared towards tougher materials. Do they even make inserts for aluminum?

Dapra has a line of inserted ball mills that accept backdraft, flat, ball and high feed that could also serve the purpose, but the inserts again seem to be gear toward milling or exotics and hard material.

Thanks in advance

Wow Swift Carb eh? I heard they were big on the East Coast? They are right down the street from me and I can tell you this, they've priced themselves out of the market atleast around my neck of the woods. Anyways back to your question, Ingersoll makes a great line called ChipSurfer. Give them a shot,
Ingersoll Cutting Tools

This is a perfect application for Dijet <--- click. They have about 20 different head types including high feed, "ripper" mills, button, ball nose (with aluminum geometry) & bull nose with a ton of different rads. They are niche company specializing in Ball nose, high feed & long reach tooling so they are very affordable.

Pm me with any questions.

Shot you an email

Wow Swift Carb eh? I heard they were big on the East Coast? They are right down the street from me and I can tell you this, they've priced themselves out of the market atleast around my neck of the woods. Anyways back to your question, Ingersoll makes a great line called ChipSurfer. Give them a shot,
Ingersoll Cutting Tools

They are insanely priced, but they have somethings that no one has (or that I have not found). Necked ball endmills in virtually every reach you can think of, and the 4fl and 5fl bull nose finishers are second to none for surface finish (again, that I have found)
If you know of someone that has similar tooling I would love a second option?

They are insanely priced, but they have somethings that no one has (or that I have not found). Necked ball endmills in virtually every reach you can think of, and the 4fl and 5fl bull nose finishers are second to none for surface finish (again, that I have found)
If you know of someone that has similar tooling I would love a second option?

I've heard from several different shops and suppliers that they copy other cutting tool companies designs but that just what I've heard and don't know if there's any truth behind it. Have you tried Benchmark Carbide? They have a pretty good selection of necked tools with or without rads. Here's their link

Benchmark Carbide - Carbide End Mills

Also another one would be PCT. They have a great selection and if you need something that is special they turn it around in a few days. Faster then any other carbide company I've ever worked with.

Welcome to PCT Cutters Endmills and Drill Solutions

Back