What's new
What's new

Deep internal grooving - .062 max width, .180 min depth

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys

Does anyone have a source for INSERTED internal toolholders and inserts that can do
.062 wide, .180 deep internal grooves?
Best ( as in right out of the gate ) would be some top-notch style inserts, such as the GTD or FLGD ( toolflow ) inserts for a standard Top-Notch style holder,
but I am open for any alternative solutions that are inserted rather than solid ( nothing against Micro100!!!)

Looked at Iscar, but to me their catalogue is completely jibberish so I did not find anything in that small of a width.
Is there some manufacturer I should be looking at?

Thank You

Guys

Does anyone have a source for INSERTED internal toolholders and inserts that can do
.062 wide, .180 deep internal grooves?
Best ( as in right out of the gate ) would be some top-notch style inserts, such as the GTD or FLGD ( toolflow ) inserts for a standard Top-Notch style holder,
but I am open for any alternative solutions that are inserted rather than solid ( nothing against Micro100!!!)

Looked at Iscar, but to me their catalogue is completely jibberish so I did not find anything in that small of a width.
Is there some manufacturer I should be looking at?

Thank You
This one is 0.5mm short on groove depth:

https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/internal...mn-150-inserts-right-hand-16mm-dia-shank.html

Do you have the bore size and live tooling that would allow a carbide saw rather than a single-edge tool? If I had the capacity I'd much prefer the defined chips and edge wear spreading of a saw.

Call vardex.
Exactly what you are looking for, most likely.

Most of their sales is to other manufacturers, so they are less well known to the public.

Call vardex.

Most of their sales is to other manufacturers, so they are less well known to the public.

Call vardex.

I know Vardex for deburring, not so much for grooving inserts/holders.
( I have Blue, Yellow and Red handles of their (Vardex) units, and god help you if a blue handle ever sees anything but AL )

Do you have the bore size and live tooling that would allow a carbide saw rather than a single-edge tool? If I had the capacity I'd much prefer the defined chips and edge wear spreading of a saw.

No live tooling for this puppy.
I have the machine for it, but the part qty and the size just doesn't justify utilizing it.

I did take a cursory look to both Vardex and PH Horn without much success as those popped to my mind also.
Its either less than 3mm deep or more than 2mm wide.

I have one from PH Horn that is .062" wide and goes .256" deep
I will look when I get to the shop at the numbers.

It is something on the RU114 line of tools

Now that I think about it I may have the exact same on in a sandvik holder that is basically a clone of PH Horn

I'm a big fan of the Sandvik CXS line of small tools. It has changed everything in my shop. We do a ton of small feature internal work and it's the best. Threading, Face grooving, I.D. grooving and contouring. These tools swap out just like an insert and repeat dead on like an insert.

We once used Micro 100 tools and they still have a place in the shop but these Sandvik inserts are the best thing that has happened to out lathe department since CNC

Call your Sandvik Rep today you won't be sorry. You will need to purchase a holder for around $80.00 but that holder can be used for all types of CXS inserts. I have at least 20 holders in the different size ranges, I think they range from 4MM to 7MM

Make Chips Boys !

RonSandvik.jpg

Back