What's new
What's new

Deionizing / Reverse Osmosis questions for coolant water...

mmurray70

Stainless
Hi,

We are on a well and the water is causing some corrosion problems (mostly pitting between two pieces of metal) in my mill. The TDS is only around 50 ppm which is not too bad, but there must be something in there causing it. I tried bringing water in from another source past couple of months and its alot better. Obviously bringing in water sucks so i bought a small 4 stage filter (sediment, charcoal, RO and deionizing) to try. Here is a link: Amazon.com : Aquatic Life RO Buddie Four Stage Reverse Osmosis System with Color Changing Mixed Bed Deionization Cartridge : Livestock Equipment : Pet Supplies

The filter seems to do its job, althought a little slow. Water comming out actually has 0 TDS. Problem is the deionizing filter. I've made four 5 gal buckets of water and the media has expired already! I was surprised by this, but after reading reviews, others say the life is only 20-40 gallons for a small filter like this. This seems like it will be a major pain and another expense to have to refill this media all the time.

I checked the TDS of water after the Reverse osmosis filter, and before the deionizing filter and only getting a reading of 4 ppm there. So im wondering if i even need to bother with the deionizing filter? Part of me thinks that the 4 ppm after RO sounds great, and another part of me thinks that theres obviously something still in the water if it used up the media that fast. Anybody with experiance have any suggestions? Do i need to deionize too?

Hi,

We are on a well and the water is causing some corrosion problems (mostly pitting between two pieces of metal) in my mill. The TDS is only around 50 ppm which is not too bad, but there must be something in there causing it. I tried bringing water in from another source past couple of months and its alot better. Obviously bringing in water sucks so i bought a small 4 stage filter (sediment, charcoal, RO and deionizing) to try. Here is a link: Amazon.com : Aquatic Life RO Buddie Four Stage Reverse Osmosis System with Color Changing Mixed Bed Deionization Cartridge : Livestock Equipment : Pet Supplies

The filter seems to do its job, althought a little slow. Water comming out actually has 0 TDS. Problem is the deionizing filter. I've made four 5 gal buckets of water and the media has expired already! I was surprised by this, but after reading reviews, others say the life is only 20-40 gallons for a small filter like this. This seems like it will be a major pain and another expense to have to refill this media all the time.

I checked the TDS of water after the Reverse osmosis filter, and before the deionizing filter and only getting a reading of 4 ppm there. So im wondering if i even need to bother with the deionizing filter? Part of me thinks that the 4 ppm after RO sounds great, and another part of me thinks that theres obviously something still in the water if it used up the media that fast. Anybody with experiance have any suggestions? Do i need to deionize too?

No need to use DI resin and it's probably even better that way
See this thread: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...est-way-filter-coolant-water-drop-tds-341077/

I think you would do better to get your water tested and work out why its so corrosive, RO filtration probaly is not needed, but you do need to work out what its PH is and why its this corrosive. High or low PH is very hard on resin and RO membranes, get some proper advice and solve the whats wrong part before you try and fix it. May just simply need buffering to a sensible PH and no filtration at all.

Back