What's new
What's new

Diamondback full-width slotting -- feed & DOC reco?

Finegrain

Diamond
Hi guys,

I need to clear out a 4" long x .550" wide channel 1.4" deep, in 6061, using a 1/2" Diamondback. Destiny recommends .006-.008" chipload and 100% (1/2") axial DOC. Anybody have real-world experience going that hard at it?

30-taper Speedio, planning on using the full 16,000 RPM.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

Be careful. The Diamondbacks are very aggressive with the ramp and can produce enough downward force to overcome the drawbar holding force with the .500 cutter. We have done it in our showroom.

Hi guys,

I need to clear out a 4" long x .550" wide channel 1.4" deep, in 6061, using a 1/2" Diamondback. Destiny recommends .006-.008" chipload and 100% (1/2") axial DOC. Anybody have real-world experience going that hard at it?

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

been my experience make sure chips get out of the way. if they stick to cutter and clog the flutes you be there with a hammer and screwdriver getting the stuck on aluminum out. usually use a lot of coolant pushing chips out of the way
max recommendations are just that maximum recommended

Hi guys,

Thanks, and regards.

Mike
Those end mills are amazing. But we have a 40 taper.
If you're only going 1/2" deep per cut those speeds and feeds should be fine. But I would listen to 2 out of 3's reply since he knows the Speedio.
FWIW, I run them 15k rpm, 1.2" deep with a .100" stepover at 400ipm in 6061 and it will last all day long.
Did you get the Stealth coating?

If your Speedio doesn't like to be pushed that hard, you could go full depth and use an HSM path with about a 10%-20% stepover.

Those end mills are amazing. But we have a 40 taper.
If you're only going 1/2" deep per cut those speeds and feeds should be fine. But I would listen to 2 out of 3's reply since he knows the Speedio.
FWIW, I run them 15k rpm, 1.2" deep with a .100" stepover at 400ipm in 6061 and it will last all day long.
Did you get the Stealth coating?

If your Speedio doesn't like to be pushed that hard, you could go full depth and use an HSM path with about a 10%-20% stepover.

Yes, Stealth coating,

The machine is plenty stout.

I also go bonkers with regular profiling -- .125" - .175" stepover, 288 IPM, 16k RPM, and that goes great. Just don't have much experience with 100% engagement toolpaths.

Regards.

Mike

I would say it is not even that hard for this kind of tool. I would start 0.7" deep at 0.005" ipt. Make sure you have the power, and strong coolant though.

Coolant Through Spindle/Tool? If not, I will make that cut in 12 seconds. 12k rpm, 120 IPM, .35" depth of cut, 4 passes/3 seconds per pass. I hate slotting in production! Welding up chips on the tool spells disaster. I think this is probably the best way to make this cut though. I'm sure it could be done with less passes, but it'll be riskier in production environment. A smaller tool doing Peel Milling will take longer.

Update ...

Figured out a way to clear most of the slot depth by swapping around other toolpaths so was left with just a .530" deep slot. 1 pass @ 100% engagement with a 1/2" Diamondback, 16k RPM.

Machine is very happy at 144 IPM (.003" chipload).
Machine is less happy at 192 IPM (.004" chipload). Spindle definitely is bogging down. This is ~50 in^3/min, which the machine has no trouble with during regular contouring. Chip evacuation? I have a pretty strong coolant blast right into the cut.

What's interesting is the dramatic difference between 144 and 192.

Not a big deal as it's only a 1.7 second cut at 144 so trying to stay at 192 saves me a whopping 1/2 second ;).

Regards.

Mike

Here is the part, BTW, showing why I needed to plow that valley. Pair of parts on the carrier after P1 on the left, finished part after P2 on the right. 7.05" x 4" x 1.5" starting block. 10:25 total cycle time for 2 parts getting P1 & P2

IMG_0611.jpg

Regards.

Mike

Back