What's new
What's new

Did Romi have a booth at IMTS ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I was there last day and forgot about them until the last minute and rushed over to the East building 30 minutes after they closed. Got in anyway (Had a PM "press" badge after all ;) ), but all I could find was one Romi VMC in the Siemens booth.... was that their entire "presence" at IMTS ? :confused:

Also, did the C420 jump in base price from $35,000 to $40,000....or did I just dream it was $35,000 a few months ago ?

I didn't see a Romi, and I mentioned it to my chumm that has one and he said that they weren't there last yr either.

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Romi had a machine in the Siemens booth. I spoke to their folks there. They did not have a booth of their own. As to C420 cost - base machine has been essentially $40k for at least the last year. That price is for manual chuck and tool post.

Romi had a machine in the Siemens booth. I spoke to their folks there. They did not have a booth of their own. As to C420 cost - base machine has been essentially $40k for at least the last year. That price is for manual chuck and tool post.
OK, so $35K was a delusion in my mind probably based on seeing $39K somewhere. :dopeslap:

So there were Romi people hanging around the Romi VMC ? If so, wish I had got there before they left, if nothing else to find out why no one there ever answers any of my emails or returns phone calls.

I did speak to them in front of their VMC. Interesting about the phone calls. The people were very nice to me, but have not returned 2 phone calls I made either. Maybe they all are on vacation or in training in Brazil.

Interesting, I know a shop looking at Romi, and milltronics, anyhow so far they got a fair bit of info from Romi and I didn't hear anything about tough communications. Unfortunate part is there's none of any of them or milltronics within 800miles of us.

Where is the Romi C series made? Brazil too? these guys mostly looked at the M series so far, which is a fair bit more $ so I wasn't sure if the C series might have a little more story to it. They may also get a T14 or T17 manual machine from them.

I did speak to them in front of their VMC. Interesting about the phone calls. The people were very nice to me, but have not returned 2 phone calls I made either. Maybe they all are on vacation or in training in Brazil.
My calls and emails were probably of a different nature than yours...mostly about the possiblity of becoming a dealer to sell the machines. Three emails never answered and two phone calls never returned...months ago now.

I didn't give much info on myself so unless they looked me up on Dunn & Bradstreet or made some assumptions via Goggleing my website, there is no way they could know if I was one guy or a larger concern with an agressive sales force. I mean, I could see being turned down after some conversation or informed the "territory is taken" but to not respond at all is pretty slack.

If their sales staff is any indication of their future support it must be abysmal indeed. In stark contrast, Milltronics gets an A+ in the support department.

The Romi C series and M series are the same machine. The only difference is the control - the Fanuc became so expensive for them that they came out with the C series with a Siemens control. All of the iron, as I am told, is made in Brazil.

Interesting, I know a shop looking at Romi, and milltronics, anyhow so far they got a fair bit of info from Romi and I didn't hear anything about tough communications. Unfortunate part is there's none of any of them or milltronics within 800miles of us.

Where is the Romi C series made? Brazil too? these guys mostly looked at the M series so far, which is a fair bit more $ so I wasn't sure if the C series might have a little more story to it. They may also get a T14 or T17 manual machine from them.

You will never find better product support than from Milltronics. Phone calls answered on the first or second ring by a human that has the answer or hands you off to someone who does.

The Romi C series and M series are the same machine. The only difference is the control - the Fanuc became so expensive for them that they came out with the C series with a Siemens control. All of the iron, as I am told, is made in Brazil.

Fanuc more expensive than Siemens? I haven't been keeping up with that sort of thing, but that surprises me. I always figured that the Siemens would be more expensive, with it's origin and capabilities.

Fanuc more expensive than Siemens? I haven't been keeping up with that sort of thing, but that surprises me. I always figured that the Siemens would be more expensive, with it's origin and capabilities.

Nope, Fanuc is bad, bad expensive. Sure, you can get an el cheapo....but it'll turn on and that's about it. A Fanuc that is optioned up to compare apples to apples to a standard Siemens is nearly twice the cost of a Siemens.

And if you need replacements......hang onto your wallet...
An 18i reconfigured to work with the rest of our control system that was a 2000 model 21i was $27,000+ in 2006. (No support for the 21i only 6 years after it was bought, would have to build a control by hand, with a 18 week leadtime.)

An 18i reconfigured to work with the rest of our control system that was a 2000 model 21i was $27,000+ in 2006. (No support for the 21i only 6 years after it was bought, would have to build a control by hand, with a 18 week leadtime.)

Oh man. How did management respond to that?? No support on a 6 year old control from the worlds largest maker of CNC controls!:angry::angry:

Just got in a new CPU for a Fanuc PLC from LNS for a barfeed. Was $2300 (with program installed). Plus NDA-S. :bawling:

I told him that I would like to had thought that I could have gotten the whole PLC for that much! :eek:
(And had change back?)

He said that was why they don't run Fanuc on new machines anymore... :toetap:

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Nope, Fanuc is bad, bad expensive. Sure, you can get an el cheapo....but it'll turn on and that's about it. A Fanuc that is optioned up to compare apples to apples to a standard Siemens is nearly twice the cost of a Siemens.

We've had a 21i in the shop since Oct. 05, on our Romi M20. Probably plain compared to the Siemens control. Had no idea Siemens was even close to Fanuc. Of course, apples to apples comparison would make a big difference, as all the Siemens I've ever dealt with or been around we geared more to 5 axis milling than 2 axis turning. That kind of capability is gonna be expensive in anybodies book.

(No support for the 21i only 6 years after it was bought....)
Tony, can you elaborate more on that ? As one instance, what sort of support issues might one expect on a 2002 Romi CNC lathe with Fanuc 21iT control ? Are you saying you flat out can't buy a new 21i CPU module, for example ? Are you saying, Fanuc techs won't help you pinpoint problems over the phone ? Or ??

I don't understand, as I've had good luck with Fanuc support both in phone calls and parts for OM controls back to the late 80's for gawd's sake, so what is the deal with the 21i ?

Tony is pretty busy now, so he may not even see my inquiry...sooo, anyone else remember the negatives he had on the Fanuc 21i support issues ? Or perhaps you have your own tale of woe..or joy...on this ?? I need to know ASAP as I'm thinking of buying a 2002 vintage turn center with that control.

Have had nothing but great results with my 21i-t on a Romi M17.
Had an issue with the the memory card slot when i first got the machine...sent replacement part next day.
As to Romi service...I have had great support!
Had some questions about my control and programming, called the tech (Romi) line and talked with the service guy there and he figured out that my control did not have the latest version of the software .
Sent the the program file and offered to do the upgrade for me if io would just send him the control, which i did.

Have had the field service manage out to my shop twice to see me...I did not call him, he was out here (California) making a service call and he stopped in to see if everything was working fine...He showed me some stuff on the control that was not in the Romi doccumentation along with making some mechanical adjustments....
He gave me his cell phone number and told me to call if i needed help ...24-7.....
Cheers Ross

Have had nothing but great results with my 21i-t on a Romi M17.
Yes, I thought so...that's why Tony's condemnation of it sounds so strange. 21i great on the Harrison too, but then I never actually needed anything for it, so never put Fanuc to the test, so to speak.

I have a vague memory of Tony needing to replace something major on a 21i...like the entire CPU module...and Fanuc not being willing to supply one...but only willing to supply a substitute like the a newer model...which then required replacing all sorts of other stuff...to the tune of mega bucks and mega time to get it. Does that sound familiar to anyone else or did I dream that ? :crazy:

Back