What's new
What's new

Die grinder for deburing I need a new one.

gundog

Hot Rolled
I used a Ingersoll Rand right angle die grinder for years it was a good one it is probably 25-30 years old I used it steady for deburing aluminum parts for probably 8 years then it started running slow. I bought a cheap one at Lowes and now I have been through 2 of those each lasted about a year. I use the unitzed 3M roloc wheels 3" size they are grey and some 3" red fiber type. I need a new one for tomorrow and I don't really want to buy another cheap one. Anybody have a suggestion on brand & model?

I would like to also get my old IR rebuilt or buy a kit but I don't see any kits for it listed it is a model AG220. I know this is a little off topic but I figure most of you use these things so I would ask.

Thanks Mike

Real good quality air tools are kind of few and far between - seems like all the common brands are selling the same product with their own badge on it.

I have a few Chicago Pneumatic belt grinders that I was fairly unimpressed with when I first took them out of the box, but they have held up pretty well on the shop floor. They are 7 or 8 years old by now and I've replaced the belt roller bearings a few times but other than that they have had no love. They are not used 24-7 by any stretch, but they do get used every day to some extent.

Desoutter might still be a good bet for an actual decent quality tool, but I have no recent experience.

On recomendation for fast assembly screwdrivers for dealing with fixture clamps, someone here turned me on to Uryu air tools from Japan. Their US distributor is here so I dropped by and got to check out their stuff.

It's all seriously old-school quality. It's one of those companies still knocking out knurl-handed craftsman kinda gear. The two air drivers I bought are straight up beasts of quality and durability. They had a mini die grinder on hand that was just completely badass. They have a couple of models, but Google tells me the one I played with was the UG-20A.

Downside is that you're gonna pay for it, but since you were looking for the not shitty options, this is definitely something to check out.

That is an interesting lead gk, worth looking into.

There are two that come to my mind, Sioux and Dynabrade. I would check to be sure the actual unit you are looking at is not a rebadge, and still made by them. Dam well should be for 300+! Cheers.

P.S., with these brands you get national distribution, and a good chance for access to parts and service, (I think?)

PATCO is still making air tools in the USA. I haven't used any of them, but they have been mentioned in other threads here on PM and are highly regarded.

Dotco is another high end brand that comes to mind.

2nd the Dotco brand, dont know aboot 2018, but the last 40 years that was the chit in the mold and die shops in and around Detroit.
They are what I am still using in the shed here.
Gw

+1 for Dotco, best 90 gun I ever had was a Dotco.

Dynabrade is good and made in USA. I have used their dynafiles for years, I had to replace a DA sander last year, bought a Dynabrade and love it. It's quiet and smooth. Register it and you get a lifetime warranty.

I didn't have much luck finding any choice other than IR I bought one for about $90 and left my old one to see if they can rebuild it. If I didn't need it today I would have ordered something off the net.

Pretty sure all the IR stuff is made in China these days. Made the mistake of buying an IR sander a few years back cuz I wanted a made in USA tool. It was not USA.

On recomendation for fast assembly screwdrivers for dealing with fixture clamps, someone here turned me on to Uryu air tools from Japan. Their US distributor is here so I dropped by and got to check out their stuff.

It's all seriously old-school quality. It's one of those companies still knocking out knurl-handed craftsman kinda gear. The two air drivers I bought are straight up beasts of quality and durability. They had a mini die grinder on hand that was just completely badass. They have a couple of models, but Google tells me the one I played with was the UG-20A.

Downside is that you're gonna pay for it, but since you were looking for the not shitty options, this is definitely something to check out.

Shinano is another japanese maker.
And then there is Pferd and Atlas Copco..

Back