What's new
What's new

Coolant for Bronze

csharp

Stainless
Is there any coolant that works well for bronze?

We cut bronze SEA660/CDA932. The coolant turns blue then starts to get the white power residue. I assume it is from the bronze oxidizing. I have tried a richer concentration but no real difference.

We are using Master Chemical Trim 585XT.

Well to be honest we never use coolent when cutting bronze or brass.

I know this isnt the information you asked for but i figured i should let you know.
Most people that i know machine bronze dry.

You will need to slow your rpms down a bit. But this way all your bronze chips (dust)
stays dry. You can get lots of money for bronze recycling.

good luck

Don't you have thermal growth issues turning bronze dry?
I turn 5" 660 bronze bearings on a manual lathe and use the coolant on the finish passes.
Different bronze and Cincinatti coolant ,I know, but i haven't seen any oxidizing.
Dave

I machine a lot of copper. I used to have issues with the coolant turning green. I switched over to blaser blasocut 2000 md. The md stands for metal deactivator. Coolant stays nice and white now. Might be worth looking into.

I machine a lot of copper. I used to have issues with the coolant turning green. I switched over to blaser blasocut 2000 md. The md stands for metal deactivator. Coolant stays nice and white now. Might be worth looking into.

Thanks, I spoke with Blaser this morning. The mentioned the metal deactivator. However they also are concerned about the water and want to take samples prior to making any recommendations. I was told the green would be taken care of by the MD, but the white residue/oxide powder may be a symptom of something else. It is like the white powder on a leaking water pipe.

I have an new vertical being delivered tomorrow and they stated they would fill it for me to test. I really don't like the idea of even cutting bronze in that machine as you can never seem to get it all out.

Well to be honest we never use coolent when cutting bronze or brass.

I know this isnt the information you asked for but i figured i should let you know.
Most people that i know machine bronze dry.

You will need to slow your rpms down a bit. But this way all your bronze chips (dust)
stays dry. You can get lots of money for bronze recycling.

good luck

Aren't you concerned with breathing the dust from machining dry?
CDA932 is about 6%-8% lead. I like to keep it out of the air if possible.

Back