What's new
What's new

Problems tapping P20

NaRbO

Cast Iron
I'm having a lot of trouble getting any kind of decent tool life when tapping P20. Its in the 28-32 Rc range. I'm using OSG taps and Guhring taps. Spiral flute bottoming. I leave .25 clearence to the bottom of the hole. I'l drill 1 inch and tap to .75 for example. I might be lucky to get 15 or 20 holes. Maybe thats good but my tool rep says i should get a lot more. I'm using coolant and all the proper tap drills. This is the only material I have trouble with. I've tried cutting speeds from 25sfm to 50sfm. I've used both rigid and tension compression holders.

Any tips/ideas?

Thanks.

What size tap and HOW are they failing/wearing out? Breaking? Sounding like they are going to break? How much weight/stress will the fastener have to hold/withstand?

Jeff

I mostly tap for 3/8-16. It will tap to almost the full depth. It'll make like a squeeking sound and then snap right off as it backs out of the hole. I've never noticed any chiped flutes to indicate that its wearing out. I don't have any specific load to hold the components with. We build molds and trim dies. Not very large ones. i usualy try to get enough thread for 1 1/2 times the bolt diameter.

I would drill .01 over, definitely use the spring loaded holder I think that little bit of play helps disipate some of the stress on the tap when the spindle reverses. And I would get some Molly-d .

P20 and tapping

I've noticed that a lot of the P20 I buy from Uddeholm seems to have become harder to cut in recent years.
The last mold base I built was amost un-millable and un-drillable...I went through boxes of inserts and many drill sharpenings compared to times gone by.
I've heard that the chemistry of steels is slowly drifting toward a different end of the range for minor constituents.
Apparently it used to be that you'd find most alloying elements to be at the low end of the permissible range because it was cheaper to do it that way when the primary feedstock was mostly virgin iron.
Now that more of the feedstock is recycled scrap, supposedly the low cost way is to tolerate alloying elements at the top of the range if they're already in the melt.
Has any one else heard this?
Can anyone else confirm that the P20 they're using has gotten more difficult to cut over the last 5 years?
It would certainly explain the OP's problems tapping the stuff.
Mind you, I don't much like spiral flute taps...I find them prone to snapping on direction reversal.
I'm told it's due to the pitch errors induced when they twist and untwist as the torque changes during tapping cycles.
Apparently the transient pitch errors make them bind; and this will be especially pronounced on direction reversal with a duller tap that's had to have more torque applied to it to force the tap through the steel to get it to depth.
Maybe a change to a spiral point tap will help, but of course at the cost of having more of a problem removing the chips.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix – Design & Innovation - home

I would drill .01 over, definitely use the spring loaded holder I think that little bit of play helps disipate some of the stress on the tap when the spindle reverses. And I would get some Molly-d .

Yes sir! Whenever POSSIBLE, drill a little bit over. Sometimes it just isn't worth the headaches. Even .004 over could help greatly.

Jeff

You really do not want to use coolant if you can avoid it. We use Moly-Dee when tapping tool steel & have no issues.

Probably doesn't have to be Moly-dee. Tap magic would probably do the job. The one good thing about blind holes, they hold tapping oil!

Jeff

I have never actually machined P20, but I had heard about it from a very experienced machinist (milling was his forte') years ago. I have machined a fair assortment of other tool steels.

Jeff

You may want to consider thread milling. If your mostly tapping a single size like you indicated programming and number of threadmills would be minimal.

Moldmaker friend of mine who does lots of BeCu and P20 has gone to threadmilling for most of his threaded holes. Once you get the hang of it it's easy peezee

What is P20? Been machining 30 years and never heard of it.

I never heard of it either until landing a job at a PCB press tool co.

Used to make the stripper plates, and the dies... sometimes... mostly used D5 to make the die plates though

It used to eat drills like anything until some moron found the data sheet for the stuff.... Hmmm chrome... mangenese.... lots of minor stuff... drop the Vc, keep the Fz the same, and pray

Worked a treat... got 150-200 0.040" 3/4" deep holes per drill instead of 80-100

Boris

<<was a moron back then... ;)

Back