What's new
What's new

Do I need a Milling Chuck?

jayrod0316

Plastic
I run a Hurco VM1 8000K CAT40 spindle. What are some reasons for/against getting a milling chuck such as this one?
I use solid tool holders for my end mills .500" and above and it works well for the most part. I guess I am just curious what a milling chuck is good for. Just for real heavy cutting? Does is reduce runout? Will it help with chatter?

CAT40 Milling Chuck Tool Holder ASC1.00-95 MariTool

The purpose of a chuck is to be able to hold different diameter tools, from small to the chuck max.
It does not reduce runout, its not for heavier cutting or help with chatter.
Its more flexible than a one diameter holder, thats about it.
Heinz, doccnc.com

The purpose of a chuck is to be able to hold different diameter tools, from small to the chuck max.
It does not reduce runout, its not for heavier cutting or help with chatter.
Its more flexible than a one diameter holder, thats about it.
Heinz, doccnc.com

The milling chuck WILL hold more concentric than an ER32. It WILL clamp more pressure than an ER32. A milling chuck WILL help with chatter(over an ER32) Although endmill holders are better for that though. Not sure what prompted you to say what you did but your whole post is wrong.

To answer the OP question. Unless you are doing some heavy HSM,(even then, stay with the endmill holder for roughing), you will not require one of these.
The problem with miling chucks are the gauge lengths. This in itself could cause more grief than anything.

P.S. This topic has been discussed quite a bit here on the forums. Quick search should yield lots of results.

Thanks Hertz. Solid holders are my favorite to use and I've had the best results. Good to know I'm not missing out.

Back