What's new
What's new

Do you prefer to program in G90 or G91?

I use whichever method is easier to program for the particular part, about 75% absolute and 25% incremental. Single point threadmilling is much easier to program incrementally, for example.

^ which would be a sub.

G91 for subs and in the G28 Z home line but otherwise G90. G91 in arbitrary moves (Z particularly) is tempting fate.

Yup, one screw up in an incremental program and you won't know where you're at. Plus, when working around a standard Z0 plane at the top of your job, it gets a bit confusing because the incremental moves look a lot like absolute......you won't see it coming....

G52 is the nifty way to run a program written in absolute as though it were portable like an incremental program.

I don't know how many CAM systems out there will allow you to mix incremental and absolute without any issues, I know mine won't.

As stated, absolute for everything but the special occasion. I've had the incremental bite me in the ass more than once (shame on me), and every time its like "oh CRAP!" didn't even see it until the part was screwed up...

There's no question that incremental is easier to follow when doing a milling profile.

And a combination of absolute and incremental works great for subroutines.

But when a CAM system is generating the code, absolute makes the most sense, if only for mid program startup.

A person should be familiar with both systems to be proficient at hand writing simple programs or subs and also to debug CAM output.

"A person should be familiar with both systems to be proficient at hand writing simple programs or subs and also to debug CAM output"

I think that says it all

And don't forget their bastard cousin G92, which if used and cancelled properly is great for repair work

I remember a part we used to run at another shop that was all incremental, just want to add this to what I said earlier. This program was brilliant!! No BS, absolute would have been a nightmare in this case. Think a spiral flute insert cutter, but a much larger diameter (3"-8") and sometimes up to a hundred, or more, insert pockets. All of them with a tapped hole, chamfer, cutting relief, etc. Oh I mentioned spiral right, :D so you had a chip gullet on a spiral path down the length of the body as well. When I first looked at the part I assumed it wsa probably a 2 day or so job to program.. LMAO, the supervisor 'finger-cammed' it at the control in about 20 minutes! :eek: BUT the subs were not labeled very well, I never could follow along with it. This is the crux IMHO of incremental and subs (maybe macros as well) - They need to be clearly labeled!!

"This is the crux IMHO of incremental and subs (maybe macros as well) - They need to be clearly labeled!!"

because just because you are the author of the program, you may not understand why you did what you did 3 months down the road and have to walk the path again before pushing the button..

because just because you are the author of the program, you may not understand why you did what you did 3 months down the road and have to walk the path again before pushing the button..

Exactly. I have my post to output a program that is labeled everywhere.
So if someone else runs my program 10 years from now, there will be zero questions.

Back