What's new
What's new

Does Maritool make custom holders? or do you know someone that does?

MotoX

Cast Iron
I'm in the need for a Dual contact slitting saw arbor.

The largest babbitt bearings we make get split into two equal halves on a Milwaukee model k horizontal with an indexer. We slide the bearings on a close fitting mandrel and tighten down with lid. I'm trying to combine this operation and many other secondary operations into one machine to improve throughput and streamline production.

I currently do some of the smaller bearings on an older cat40 hurco with a 4th axis. Some are also done on an old clausing knee mill. I am limited by the rigidity of these machines to make some of the heavier cuts in the larger bearings. I run these with a 1" arbor keyed holder with a gauge length of 4". The cutters are usually 3-4" in diameter and 3/32 to 7/32 wide.

A semi local machine tool reseller wants to try our largest bearing on their new dual contact Hyundai. But i cant seem to find any dual contact arbor holders with enough length.

The largest bearing is 8-1/4 diameter so i need approximately 4" gauge length with a 1-1/4 arbor. The larger the stem diameter the better, up to 2". The bearing is approximately 7/8" wall, 1026 annealed steel with a .03 babbitt lining.

We have always used HSS staggered tooth cutters to split the bearings. One reason is we can re-sharpen them in house.

I would prefer to use Maritool, but i understand that Frank may not have time to make a one-off.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find something that suits, I will pay gladly to have one made.

If anyone has any suggestions to improve what we are doing here I'm all ears.

I have though about trying some inserted cutters, but there are so many styles to sort though, and they are prohibitively expensive.

Sandvik have side mill holders on capto, which you can then put in a dual contact capto holder. I have a couple that I use with big indexable slitting saws, but no reason you couldn't put a solid saw in there too.

They make a range of sizes, but for example:

C6-A391.10-38 025

I have a few saw arbors made from endmill holders. Lots of ways to do it. Depends on how the toolholder is made and what you need.

Have you ever compared a 50 taper to a 40 taper holder? 50 taper is like 4 times the size!

I ask because the dual contact thing seems like a pretty short term bandaid type solution to me. You can do things easily with plain old 50 taper that 40 never dreamed of. And it's not just the toolholders, but the spindle and overall mass of everything.

A big slitting saw hanging out a mile through steel doesn't sound like fun on a lighter machine with a small spindle. Buy something beefy and be done with it.

Make an arbor with a cylindrical shank, or buy one if you find it, and hold that in a holder?
+1 for checking with Sandvik. But it will be spendy. But it will work well.

Kennametal has made a custom big plus arbor for me in the past. Any custom will be spendy, and lead time will be a little while with anyone usually.

Call them. You will get an answer much more quickly, a definitive one, and they are great to speak with. What could possibly be bad?

I did call about a year and a half ago, got a voicemail and left a message. I never heard back, but i don't blame whose ever line it was, i'm small potatoes.

in their defense, i only called once.

I have a few saw arbors made from endmill holders. Lots of ways to do it. Depends on how the toolholder is made and what you need.

Have you ever compared a 50 taper to a 40 taper holder? 50 taper is like 4 times the size!

I ask because the dual contact thing seems like a pretty short term bandaid type solution to me. You can do things easily with plain old 50 taper that 40 never dreamed of. And it's not just the toolholders, but the spindle and overall mass of everything.

A big slitting saw hanging out a mile through steel doesn't sound like fun on a lighter machine with a small spindle. Buy something beefy and be done with it.

I have thought about a 50 taper. The problem is i'm limited on floor space and ceiling height. so far all the 50's i checked won't fit.

If i could find one with a smaller table and footprint, id be in.

There is also the secondary ops that i'm trying to include that are way better suited to a 40 taper.

Thanks for the replies,

I will have to check each place. Hopefully i cam make something work with off the shelf components.

I may also give Maritool another call, maybe something strange happened with my message.

I did call about a year and a half ago, got a voicemail and left a message. I never heard back, but i don't blame whose ever line it was, i'm small potatoes.

in their defense, i only called once.

I can't speak to any of that, but can say that they don't give a shite about your size. If they did, they would not have dealt with us so many times now. Up until now it has been only me in the shop. And on top of that, I'm a small guy. Doesn't get much smaller than that unless you catch me at the beach on New Year's day, during the Polar Bear Plunge. Then, there's all manner of small to discuss. :eek:

Not saying they do, or they will. Just that they will treat you the same as they treat Boeing.

How many of these are you doing??? What about WIRE EDM instead of a new machine to mill them apart?

I thought about wire edm, but ive never been around it. Are they not super slow? If they can split our big bearing that is 8.25 dia with a .875 wall, 6 inches long in less than 15 minutes i all for it.

These bearing are shim bearing btw, meaning that the 7/32 that i mill away with the cutter will be made whole again with a 7/32 shim when assembled. Im guessing that EDM would need to make two cuts to achieve this?

I can't speak to any of that, but can say that they don't give a shite about your size. If they did, they would not have dealt with us so many times now. Up until now it has been only me in the shop. And on top of that, I'm a small guy. Doesn't get much smaller than that unless you catch me at the beach on New Year's day, during the Polar Bear Plunge. Then, there's all manner of small to discuss. :eek:

Not saying they do, or they will. Just that they will treat you the same as they treat Boeing.

Just called Maritool again, and they said they would be happy to quote 1pc holder for me with a print. Thanks guys

Already received a quote first thing this morning. At a damn good price too!

This is why I like dealing with Maritool, they make everything so quick and easy. Now if I can just convince the boss to make the order and try out this test cut, we can update these antique processes.

For clarification, there was a min order of 2pcs. Which is a good thing because i know someone will crash the hell out of it.

Thanks again to you guys and to Maritool.

Update

I made the order on April 25, and received the tools this morning. They look exactly to print.

It might be awhile before i can make it over to the dealer and make the test cut, but i will update when i do.

Thanks again for making my life easy, Frank.

Cant recommend Maritool highly enough.

Attachments

• 20180611_154336.jpg
    20180611_154336.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Its a pleasure and thank you again for the order. Yours is a longer gage length, we also ran some bins of 3 Inch in standard CAT40 and also dual contact versions. They will be on our site as a standard stocked product. More arbor diameters to come. 1", 3/4, ....

Back