What's new
What's new

Pressing Bearings Question

Solar71

Titanium
Hi guys.

Just a quick Q about pressing a bearing.

This bearing is 2 inch OD, 1 inch ID, and 1/2 wide.
Its a standard sealed with heavy grease ball bearing. (not roller bearing)

There is a steel shaft thats going to be pressed into the 1 inch ID.

How much interfearance should I use?
Should the shaft be ground to 1.001 or less? Maybe 1.0005? Or 1.0003?

Thanks

Well its a general rule... Ive had customers call out minimum interference on steel bushings .531 dia in aluminum pieces from .001 min to .0025 max

.001 per inch is just the general rule. Im sure you will be good leaving a thou for a steel on steel press

You can fight the size, or you can get a smooth slip fit and use Blue Lock Tight. Just clean the shaft and bearing id add a few drops and then rotate while slipping it together.

Regards,

Stan-

Obviously it's a case by case situation with bearings, but the bearing manufacturer should be able to supply recommended tolerances for their bearings. I usually deal with bearings in the 1" range and go with .0005" in steel and .001" in aluminum. Whatever works

A ball bearing that small I would shoot for .0003" Min to .0006" Max press. It is easy to remove the internal clearance designed into the bearing by making it too tight a fit.

I'll 2nd that. Much more than .0005" press, and bearings tend to bind up. I just had to rework a bunch of parts a couple of weeks ago because we made the mistake of making them to print. On a 2" bearing, any more than .0010" sounds like trouble to me.

I too would be in the .0005 range. If youre pressing the bearing into aluminum, .001 would work, steel .0005. A heavy press can crush the bearing.

For the shaft, .0005. If youre making something custom, use bearing journals, keeps the rest of the shaft from getting marred and its a lot easier to hold a .0005 tolerance over a 1/2" section of journal, than an entire shaft. If youre buying straight ground shaft...well thats a little different...its easier to grind a straight shaft for sure. If your shaft is a little tight, warm the bearing (oven 200deg, watch the grease tho!) or cool the shaft (freezer or upside down canned air). Sometimes its just enough to work.

Back