What's new
What's new

Door Glass on lathe?

NAST555

Stainless
So I was abot 5 metres away and heard a crash and the operator hitting the feed hold. Go over to look and he is staring at the door. I think the poor guy needs a pants change now. A 15mm drill decided to break off right where it comes out of a collet when it made a rapid move out the hole :nutter: Anyways so if you look at the pic you can see the bottom left corner where it hit the glass.

What glass is used for this? I obviously need to replace it. It is some form of shatterproof glass because not one single piece of glass, at least from what I can see, is loose or broken off.

Attachments

• DSC_1309.jpg
    DSC_1309.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 839
So I was abot 5 metres away and heard a crash and the operator hitting the feed hold. Go over to look and he is staring at the door. I think the poor guy needs a pants change now. A 15mm drill decided to break off right where it comes out of a collet when it made a rapid move out the hole :nutter: Anyways so if you look at the pic you can see the bottom left corner where it hit the glass.

What glass is used for this? I obviously need to replace it. It is some form of shatterproof glass because not one single piece of glass, at least from what I can see, is loose or broken off.

shatter proof glass funny stuff
had old patio door glass and i try to cut with a 5" hand grinder on 2x4's on dirt. i grind 1/4" in and it makes funny groan and bam whole think shattered in small pieces which are somehow attached to plastic sheet designed to hold it together
tempered safety glass maybe its name
easy way to tell acrylic plastic and polycarbonite plastic. hit it hard with a hammer a test piece polycarbonite wont shatter acrylic will. 1/2" thick polycarbonite is fairly tough stuff. hit it with sledge hammer if you want to test it

Thanks Aaront... unfortunately I am in South Africa.

Tom, your story reminds me of an OOPS (read F@ck up) a few years ago. Was putting up a security gate outside a glass sliding door. Need to do a bit of touching up here and there with the grinder so had at it without thinking. After the grinding I looked up to realise that the entire glass door had cracked from the sparks... Not very impressed with myself to say the least!

Thanks Aaront... unfortunately I am in South Africa.

Tom, your story reminds me of an OOPS (read F@ck up) a few years ago. Was putting up a security gate outside a glass sliding door. Need to do a bit of touching up here and there with the grinder so had at it without thinking. After the grinding I looked up to realise that the entire glass door had cracked from the sparks... Not very impressed with myself to say the least!
tempered glass got any scratch over certain amount and it groans and goes bam whole thing shattered. only thing good is normally internal plastic layer holds all the little pieces together. big glass pieces falling can easily cause severe injury. its designed to break in little pieces

It is probably laminated safety glass, similar to a car windshield. Call a local glass shop, tell them what you need it to do and they may be able to assist.

yes, laminated safety glass has a plastic core bonded in the middle of two pieces of glass, so that it doesn't shatter into pieces, like an automobile windshield.

tempered safety glass is designed to break into smallish polygons greatly reducing the hazard from the shards, but no plastic core.

(bullet resistant glass is a sandwich of multiple layers of plastic and glass)

the resistance to penetration of the original window would depend on the thickness and type of plastic in the core, I don't know what is in there.

for maximum safety, you MIGHT want to see if you can get some bullet resistant glass. can't go wrong with that, I'd think, and its readily available.

Looks to me like laminated tempered glass. I have replaced all the glass on my machines with Lexan(polycarbonate). It does scratch, but it is bullet and drill resistant.

Thanks for all the replies guys!
So the link Aaront put up is pretty interesting... is that just all sales talk about having purely Lexan being a bad idea? That you need to replace them because after a few years it soaks all the coolant and oils up? Someone approached me yesterday and said he had a piece and would cut one for me.
I think that I am leaning towards the laminated tempered glass but from reading up on lexan it should be fine too?

from reading up on lexan it should be fine too?

Lexan is "usually" cheap enough you just replace it more often and may still be money ahead. Especially if you have a spare cut when the first one is done. Also easy to DIY and polish the edges. That said, some glass is actually rather cheap and can cost LESS than plastics.

Based in S.A, - far, but not without its own industries - ready availability might tilt the balance one way or the other.

Do some research online. I have not, but....

ISTR there is a known type of degradation over time or exposure for Lexan / polycarbonate family that can change its characteristics without visible indication it has become more vulnerable. Brittle perhaps?

Safety and surprise are a poor mix, so good job that you are researching the options.

The OEM window seems to have done exactly what it was meant to do, so not a BAD idea to just order the same and go piss on some other fire as needs put-out.

So after taking it out it is in fact both of them with a bit of silicone to keep them together and a seal between them. Makes sense why I didn't feel a crack from the outside but it was on the inside. I am going to send it to a glass place so they can just put a new tempered glass on the inside for me.

Thanks again for all the help!

Attachments

• DSC_1312.jpg
    DSC_1312.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC_1313.jpg
    DSC_1313.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 294
We just bought new glass for our Mazak from these guys. Machine Safety Glass, Inc. Products

They were about 3 times cheaper than OEM. Just figure out the thickness you need and then they will cut to length and width.

We have been supplying glass to our local customers for years. We are a machine repair house so, I would rather buy the glass (at a reasonable price) and concentrate on repair.

What I found was, the glass shops do not want to deal with the plastic and the plastic shops do not want to deal with the glass. So I said "screw it. I can do it myself."

A friend decided to replace his glass door on his Mazak for $2,500, the cardboard covered glass arrived from Mazak and an employee opened it with a box cutter. Yes, you guessed right, a big deep scratch all the way across the new glass, right in the middle. The owner was pissed, but less than two weeks later a part went through it so I guess it all turned out for the best?

Ohh, poor man. One of my friends has such a situation once but he was a lucky one 'cause he repaired it. He called these guys https://www.unscratchthesurface.com/ and they helped him to save his money. They just did a miracle with his glass for one or two hours. No one can believe that his glass was so hard scratched. I think this is the best service ever. It helps us to save a lot of money. That is why if you will have such problems don't hurry up ordering a new glass. Thanks to new services that appeared in the last years we can simplify our life.

Looks to me like laminated tempered glass. I have replaced all the glass on my machines with Lexan(polycarbonate). It does scratch, but it is bullet and drill resistant.
See, I was about to do the opposite on my mill. I hate that they scratch and haze, it leads me to watching with the door cracked. I'd rather be able to squeegee off the glass see better.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Back