What's new
What's new

Dwell for G-Code l??

JimGlass

Stainless
I'm turning grooves in a 3/16 dia workpiece that is kinda long. I would like to have a short dwell at
the bottom of the groove. I thought I could add #250 to the code thinking the tool would remain at the bottom of the groove for a few milliseconds before retracting but it does not work.

When Mach 3 sees the first line with the #250 it stops and says there needs to be an equal sign.
Where does the equal sign need to be? I tried to add the equal sign like this #=250 or =#250 but Mach3
still does not accept the code.

This should be an easy fix but I'm lost.
Jim

Not sure about Mach 3, but the usual g-code for dwell is G4.

On Fanuc:

G4 P500 (or G4 X500) will give you a .5 second dwell. No decimal is allowed in the P value (or X value), and the unit is milliseconds.

Other controls (Milltronics, for example) allow a decimal, and the unit is seconds.

G4 P.5 will give a .5 second dwell.

On my machines g4 g04 are the codes for dwell also. If this will not work a easy work around would be to slow the feed to .0001 per rev for the last 1/2 thousanths of feed assumming this is a lathe. If a mill do the same thing just slow feed the last little bit.

Any Fanuc that I have used dwell on takes decimals just fine.

???

G4 X.5 = 1/2 second
Can substitute U for X

I think our older Mits only takes U's.

If your Mach doesn' take this code - I would be surprised...

---------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

G4P*** as has been mentioned is for a dwell, the **** will be the amount of dwell you want, it can either be in seconds or milliseconds and you choose which on General Config page.
Hood

Didn't the length of dwell with G04 depend on whether you were feeding in Inches per Revolution (lathe) or Inches per Minute (mill)? I thought one timed the dwell in seconds and the other in spindle revolutions. (Been a long time...)

Didn't the length of dwell with G04 depend on whether you were feeding in Inches per Revolution (lathe) or Inches per Minute (mill)? I thought one timed the dwell in seconds and the other in spindle revolutions. (Been a long time...)

Not in Mach anyway, its time based (S or mS depending on config)
Hood

Back