What's new
What's new

EDM Wirecut

marknabia

Plastic
Hi,
Im new to this forum. We are looking for a Wirecut machine. so far I got some quote from Accutex EDM GE-43SA. Charmille Cut E350,CHMER G32S,and the Makino U3. anyone runs any of this machine? we will be cutting carbon steel and some tungsten and chromium carbide.

We also have a small space so size is another one to consider.

Can anyone help me to decide in terms of efficiency and maintenance cost of this machine, which one is better?

Might want to look at Fanuc and Sodick as well.

The "core retention" trick that Fanuc has developed is pretty amazing.

PM

The wire EDM machine will likely be the most expensive machine to run and maintain in your shop. With an abrasive waterjet or perhaps a laser cutter being the exception. Might want to consider distance to nearest service representative in your selection process and give it a bit more weight. I do like my Sodick and Charmilles.

The wire EDM machine will likely be the most expensive machine to run and maintain in your shop. With an abrasive waterjet or perhaps a laser cutter being the exception. Might want to consider distance to nearest service representative in your selection process and give it a bit more weight. I do like my Sodick and Charmilles.

We are in western Canada and most of this distributor are located in eastern Canada,charmills has Rconnect that also have equevalent on most brand, we run a production that require a critical notch size maximum of 0.15mm so wirecut is our best option.

I am definitely a Sodick fan. Ours in a 1997 Ap500 that runs great, service has been easy to get, parts are easy to get, and it has been very reliable. I would stay far away from Agie's.

marknabia,

I'll toss in a bit of information since I was in the wire edm business for a good while (semi retired now).

As jmullett said: a wire edm machine really has to be treated very differently from most/all other machines in the shop. A wire machine will generally require the most preventative maintenance of any machine you own. They are typically not a machine you ... decide to use on a particular day, walk up and hit the ON button and be cutting a part 15 minutes later.

If you want very good accuracy, you really need climate control. Cleanliness is everything. That little wire usually runs through a bunch of guides, rollers and tubes both on its way to your workpiece and on its way out of the machine. The tiniest little piece of debris lodged somewhere can cause a short circuit and the machine will refuse to cut. Fanatical cleanliness will make your life easier -- I can't stress that enough.

You mentioned the materials you were cutting, and plain carbon steel and tungsten are about the dirtiest materials to cut. You will go through filters fairly frequently, especially if you are doing "tall" cuts with 0.25mm wire.

Another thing to be aware of is tooling costs (work holding). If you're not familiar with them, look up the names "Erowa" and "System 3R". This is probably the cream of the crop in work holding. Can you do without high end tooling and/or make your own?... yes, it's possible, but the nice tooling spoils you if you plan on doing very accurate work. I've used both extensively, and prefer Erowa... primarily because if you have parts that get worked on in a CNC mill *and* in a wire machine, Erowa builds really great work holding tools for both. Transitioning from one machine to the other can be extremely simple and accurate, as a "holder" can be taken from a wire machine and moved right into a mill (or visa versa). All depends on what you're going to be doing.

One last "word of warning" (for this message at least, haha!) -- wire edm can be frustrating. There is not a lot of information out there. It takes a while until one gets used to thinking "inside out" some of the time (at least that's what I call it). The learning curve is steep... at least if the desire is to get really comfortable and good at it. Machine crashes can be >VERY< espensive, so double and triple checking everything before hitting that green button is important. Wire machines don't really give you the ability to just...'comp the Z up a few inches and dry run the part. Extreme caution is a good thing when starting out.

Fire away if you have questions.

PM

Back